Jun 20, 2012, 1:17 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Slater Koekkoek (Defense)
Height: 6′ 2″ Weight: 184 Shoots: Left
Team: Peterborough Petes (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 23 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
In a draft loaded with defensemen, Koekkoek has the most unforgettable name (pronounced “kook-kook”) and perhaps the most questions about his game. A shoulder injury cut his 2011-12 season short (just 26 games), yet he still managed to post 5G-13A-18PTS for the Petes, a testament to his offensive skill set.
Mark Seidel, chief scout for the North American Central Scouting, calls Koekkoek “physical and smart.” He’s a smooth skater that carries the puck well enough to lead rushes up the ice, but won’t leave his team hanging at the other end.
“He must be more productive in 5-on-5 situations and not rely solely on the powerplay. He possesses the potential size at 6’2” and 185 lbs and has yet to fully fill out his frame. The skating ability is there as well and everything points that he could develop into a second but most likely a third pairing defenseman at the NHL level.” – Shane Malloy, amateur scout and author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 8
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (116)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)