Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alex Galchenyuk (Center)
Height: 6′ 0″ Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
He’s one of the draft’s “Big 5″. While he dealt with a knee injury (torn ACL) this year, Galchenyuk’s talent is immense. He finished second in OHL rookie scoring last season behind likely No. 1 pick and Sarnia teammate Nail Yakupov and had a strong showing in this year’s OHL playoffs. The Sting lost in the first round, but Galchenyuk had two goals and two assists in the series.
Once he matures, he’ll be a big forward with two-way ability that can score in bunches. The big question concerning Galchenyuk is whether the knee injury he suffered will scare teams off.
“In terms of overall talent I consider him the most complete player in the draft with the highest upside at the NHL level. His hockey sense and ability to make players around him better are at an NHL level already.” Shane Malloy – Author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)