Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alex Galchenyuk (Center)
Height: 6′ 0″ Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
He’s one of the draft’s “Big 5″. While he dealt with a knee injury (torn ACL) this year, Galchenyuk’s talent is immense. He finished second in OHL rookie scoring last season behind likely No. 1 pick and Sarnia teammate Nail Yakupov and had a strong showing in this year’s OHL playoffs. The Sting lost in the first round, but Galchenyuk had two goals and two assists in the series.
Once he matures, he’ll be a big forward with two-way ability that can score in bunches. The big question concerning Galchenyuk is whether the knee injury he suffered will scare teams off.
“In terms of overall talent I consider him the most complete player in the draft with the highest upside at the NHL level. His hockey sense and ability to make players around him better are at an NHL level already.” Shane Malloy – Author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)