Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alex Galchenyuk (Center)
Height: 6′ 0″ Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
He’s one of the draft’s “Big 5″. While he dealt with a knee injury (torn ACL) this year, Galchenyuk’s talent is immense. He finished second in OHL rookie scoring last season behind likely No. 1 pick and Sarnia teammate Nail Yakupov and had a strong showing in this year’s OHL playoffs. The Sting lost in the first round, but Galchenyuk had two goals and two assists in the series.
Once he matures, he’ll be a big forward with two-way ability that can score in bunches. The big question concerning Galchenyuk is whether the knee injury he suffered will scare teams off.
“In terms of overall talent I consider him the most complete player in the draft with the highest upside at the NHL level. His hockey sense and ability to make players around him better are at an NHL level already.” Shane Malloy – Author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)