Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alex Galchenyuk (Center)
Height: 6′ 0″ Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
He’s one of the draft’s “Big 5″. While he dealt with a knee injury (torn ACL) this year, Galchenyuk’s talent is immense. He finished second in OHL rookie scoring last season behind likely No. 1 pick and Sarnia teammate Nail Yakupov and had a strong showing in this year’s OHL playoffs. The Sting lost in the first round, but Galchenyuk had two goals and two assists in the series.
Once he matures, he’ll be a big forward with two-way ability that can score in bunches. The big question concerning Galchenyuk is whether the knee injury he suffered will scare teams off.
“In terms of overall talent I consider him the most complete player in the draft with the highest upside at the NHL level. His hockey sense and ability to make players around him better are at an NHL level already.” Shane Malloy – Author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)