Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Alex Galchenyuk (Center)
Height: 6′ 0″ Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 4 North American skater
What kind of player is he?
He’s one of the draft’s “Big 5″. While he dealt with a knee injury (torn ACL) this year, Galchenyuk’s talent is immense. He finished second in OHL rookie scoring last season behind likely No. 1 pick and Sarnia teammate Nail Yakupov and had a strong showing in this year’s OHL playoffs. The Sting lost in the first round, but Galchenyuk had two goals and two assists in the series.
Once he matures, he’ll be a big forward with two-way ability that can score in bunches. The big question concerning Galchenyuk is whether the knee injury he suffered will scare teams off.
“In terms of overall talent I consider him the most complete player in the draft with the highest upside at the NHL level. His hockey sense and ability to make players around him better are at an NHL level already.” Shane Malloy – Author of “The Art Of Scouting”
More draft profiles:
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 55
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 89
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 85
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)