Jun 18, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Malcolm Subban (G)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 188 Catches: Left
Team: Belleville Bulls (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American goalies
What kind of player is he?
One of three hockey-playing brothers — older brother P.K. is with the Montreal Canadiens, younger brother Jordan just finished his rookie year in Belleville — Subban has strong hockey bloodlines and comes from an athletic family. His dad and older sister were Canadian university basketball stars; his mom ran track in high school.
That said, Subban doesn’t rely solely on athleticism. Scouts like his poise, positioning and competitive fire, but do acknowledge he’s got terrific lateral ability, which makes his butterfly style all the more effective.
Subban’s biggest asset, though, is a word beloved by draft gurus: Upside.
He only started tending goal at age 12 and is still learning the position. That’s tantalizing for his long term projection because, during his time in Belleville, Subban has gotten better with each passing year. He went from being a low pick at the OHL Priority Draft to representing Canada at the World U-18s to becoming one of the best goalies in the league last season.
Because of his size and playing style, Subban has drawn comparisons to Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
“It’s in his blood. He’s a natural goaltender. He’s big but he doesn’t just stand and get hit by the puck. He’s so athletic, he uses a lot of his reflexes.” — Sebastien Farrese, Belleville goalie coach
More draft profiles:
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)