Jun 18, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Malcolm Subban (G)
Height: 6’1 Weight: 188 Catches: Left
Team: Belleville Bulls (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American goalies
What kind of player is he?
One of three hockey-playing brothers — older brother P.K. is with the Montreal Canadiens, younger brother Jordan just finished his rookie year in Belleville — Subban has strong hockey bloodlines and comes from an athletic family. His dad and older sister were Canadian university basketball stars; his mom ran track in high school.
That said, Subban doesn’t rely solely on athleticism. Scouts like his poise, positioning and competitive fire, but do acknowledge he’s got terrific lateral ability, which makes his butterfly style all the more effective.
Subban’s biggest asset, though, is a word beloved by draft gurus: Upside.
He only started tending goal at age 12 and is still learning the position. That’s tantalizing for his long term projection because, during his time in Belleville, Subban has gotten better with each passing year. He went from being a low pick at the OHL Priority Draft to representing Canada at the World U-18s to becoming one of the best goalies in the league last season.
Because of his size and playing style, Subban has drawn comparisons to Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
“It’s in his blood. He’s a natural goaltender. He’s big but he doesn’t just stand and get hit by the puck. He’s so athletic, he uses a lot of his reflexes.” — Sebastien Farrese, Belleville goalie coach
More draft profiles:
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)