Jun 18, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Filip Forsberg (C/RW)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 181 Shoots: Right
Team: Leksands IF (Allsvenskan)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Though he’s not related to Peter Forsberg, he’s tried to model his game after Foppa’s. Scouts have lauded his physical play despite the fact he’s only 17 — Forsberg doesn’t turn 18 until mid-August and was Sweden’s youngest player at the 2012 World Junior tournament.
Forsberg’s physicality could be a byproduct of playing against men last season. He scored 17 points in 43 games for Leksand (same team Oliver Ekman-Larsson played with before joining the Coyotes) while showing an ability to drive the net and score timely goals.
Those traits were on further display at the international level, most notably at the 2011 World U-18s and the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournaments, where Forsberg combined to score eight times.
Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, compared Forsberg “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
“He’s a skillful player. He can contribute in all parts of the game. He can play the power play, the penalty kill, and he’s really a hard-working, good skater. And he loves to battle. Of course, he can also be the guy who makes the difference offensively.” — WJC Team Sweden coach Roger Ronnberg
More draft profiles:
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)