Jun 18, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Filip Forsberg (C/RW)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 181 Shoots: Right
Team: Leksands IF (Allsvenskan)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Though he’s not related to Peter Forsberg, he’s tried to model his game after Foppa’s. Scouts have lauded his physical play despite the fact he’s only 17 — Forsberg doesn’t turn 18 until mid-August and was Sweden’s youngest player at the 2012 World Junior tournament.
Forsberg’s physicality could be a byproduct of playing against men last season. He scored 17 points in 43 games for Leksand (same team Oliver Ekman-Larsson played with before joining the Coyotes) while showing an ability to drive the net and score timely goals.
Those traits were on further display at the international level, most notably at the 2011 World U-18s and the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournaments, where Forsberg combined to score eight times.
Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, compared Forsberg “to Anaheim’s Corey Perry a little bit.”
“He’s a skillful player. He can contribute in all parts of the game. He can play the power play, the penalty kill, and he’s really a hard-working, good skater. And he loves to battle. Of course, he can also be the guy who makes the difference offensively.” — WJC Team Sweden coach Roger Ronnberg
More draft profiles:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)