Jun 19, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Griffin Reinhart (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 207 Shoots: Left
Team: Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 10 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Another draftee with strong hockey bloodlines — father Paul played with Vancouver and Calgary, older brother Max was drafted by the Flames in 2010 — Reinhart’s often described as a two-way blueliner praised for his balance of offensive and defensive attributes.
Case in point: Scouts like his puck-moving skills and he’s clearly got an offensive flair, having led all Oil Kings defensemen in goals last year (12). But Reinhart’s also lauded for his frame — at 6’4 and over 200 pounds, he’s got NHL-calibre size — defensive awareness, and high hockey IQ.
Of note, Reinhart had 21 interviews at the recent NHL scouting combine and received follow-ups from Edmonton, Dallas, Buffalo, Montreal and Columbus.
“Very few 6-4 blueliners can skate and handle the puck like Reinhart, and those attributes alone will intrigue lots of scouts. Has a hard point shot that often finds its mark, good passing skills.
“Has been compared by some scouts to [Boston Bruins prospect] Dougie Hamilton. Has the size, skill and skating ability to be a top two NHL defenceman.” — Grant McCagg, TSN.
More draft profiles:
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 7
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)