Jun 19, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Griffin Reinhart (D)
Height: 6’4 Weight: 207 Shoots: Left
Team: Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 10 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Another draftee with strong hockey bloodlines — father Paul played with Vancouver and Calgary, older brother Max was drafted by the Flames in 2010 — Reinhart’s often described as a two-way blueliner praised for his balance of offensive and defensive attributes.
Case in point: Scouts like his puck-moving skills and he’s clearly got an offensive flair, having led all Oil Kings defensemen in goals last year (12). But Reinhart’s also lauded for his frame — at 6’4 and over 200 pounds, he’s got NHL-calibre size — defensive awareness, and high hockey IQ.
Of note, Reinhart had 21 interviews at the recent NHL scouting combine and received follow-ups from Edmonton, Dallas, Buffalo, Montreal and Columbus.
“Very few 6-4 blueliners can skate and handle the puck like Reinhart, and those attributes alone will intrigue lots of scouts. Has a hard point shot that often finds its mark, good passing skills.
“Has been compared by some scouts to [Boston Bruins prospect] Dougie Hamilton. Has the size, skill and skating ability to be a top two NHL defenceman.” — Grant McCagg, TSN.
More draft profiles:
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)