Jun 18, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Nail Yakupov (RW)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 189 Shoots: Left
Team: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
An explosive scorer. Yakupov had 31 goals and 38 assists in 42 games with the Sting in 2011-12. He missed time with injuries, but nothing serious enough to hurt his ranking.
In January, legendary coach Scotty Bowman said Yakupov reminded him of Pavel Bure.
Oh, and in case you were wondering, Yakupov’s agent, Igor Larionov, says his client has no interest in returning to Russia to play in the KHL: “Only one league exists for him, the National Hockey League, nothing else.”
“Yakupov’s skating is unrivaled in this year’s draft. He is blessed with a powerful stride and incredible four-way mobility that makes him a threat to score every time he touches the puck. Nail is so explosive and gets to top speed in the blink of an eye. On the offensive side of the blueline he consistently brings fans to the edge of their seats. He is a pure trigger man and is certainly NHL ready in that regard, which is something that can’t be said for many forwards in this draft.” — Matt Moran, OHL Central Scouting
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 22
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 4
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 13
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 53
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)