Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Ryan Murray (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 201 Shoots: Left
Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the flashiest in the draft, but certainly one of the most effective. Murray is a two-way defenseman that many believe is ready to play in the NHL. His positioning in the defensive zone is second to none among available blue-liners, and his smooth-skating style has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer. According to McKeen’s, he’s been the captain of every team he’s played for since he was 10, save for Canada’s 2011-12 world junior squad and the 2012 world championship team.
More draft profiles:
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)