Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Ryan Murray (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 201 Shoots: Left
Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the flashiest in the draft, but certainly one of the most effective. Murray is a two-way defenseman that many believe is ready to play in the NHL. His positioning in the defensive zone is second to none among available blue-liners, and his smooth-skating style has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer. According to McKeen’s, he’s been the captain of every team he’s played for since he was 10, save for Canada’s 2011-12 world junior squad and the 2012 world championship team.
More draft profiles:
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)