Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Ryan Murray (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 201 Shoots: Left
Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the flashiest in the draft, but certainly one of the most effective. Murray is a two-way defenseman that many believe is ready to play in the NHL. His positioning in the defensive zone is second to none among available blue-liners, and his smooth-skating style has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer. According to McKeen’s, he’s been the captain of every team he’s played for since he was 10, save for Canada’s 2011-12 world junior squad and the 2012 world championship team.
More draft profiles:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5