Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Ryan Murray (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 201 Shoots: Left
Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the flashiest in the draft, but certainly one of the most effective. Murray is a two-way defenseman that many believe is ready to play in the NHL. His positioning in the defensive zone is second to none among available blue-liners, and his smooth-skating style has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer. According to McKeen’s, he’s been the captain of every team he’s played for since he was 10, save for Canada’s 2011-12 world junior squad and the 2012 world championship team.
More draft profiles:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)