Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Ryan Murray (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 201 Shoots: Left
Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the flashiest in the draft, but certainly one of the most effective. Murray is a two-way defenseman that many believe is ready to play in the NHL. His positioning in the defensive zone is second to none among available blue-liners, and his smooth-skating style has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer. According to McKeen’s, he’s been the captain of every team he’s played for since he was 10, save for Canada’s 2011-12 world junior squad and the 2012 world championship team.
More draft profiles:
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 0
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3