Jun 19, 2012, 5:47 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jacob Trouba (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 193 Shoots: Right
Team: U.S. National Development Program
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 9 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Trouba has all the “measurables” teams look for in a blueliner. He’s a a strong skater (despite almost giving up on it when he was four), throws his sizable frame around and can contribute offensively as well.
Trouba needs to polish his overall game, though, and one of the chief criticisms is that he needs to “refine” his defensive decision-making.
Of note, his favorite video game is “Super Monkey Ball.” You know that now. There’s no un-knowing it.
“He’s got good size, he’s got good skill. He plays a pretty solid two-way game and he probably plays with a little more edge than some of the other (defensive prospects) that are bigger point producers.
“I think that’s part of his appeal, that he plays the game well at both ends of the ice and plays with a little more edge and assertiveness than some of the other guys do.” — Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting Tony MacDonald.
More draft profiles:
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)