Jun 19, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jacob Trouba (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 193 Shoots: Right
Team: U.S. National Development Program
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 9 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Trouba has all the “measurables” teams look for in a blueliner. He’s a a strong skater (despite almost giving up on it when he was four), throws his sizable frame around and can contribute offensively as well.
Trouba needs to polish his overall game, though, and one of the chief criticisms is that he needs to “refine” his defensive decision-making.
Of note, his favorite video game is “Super Monkey Ball.” You know that now. There’s no un-knowing it.
“He’s got good size, he’s got good skill. He plays a pretty solid two-way game and he probably plays with a little more edge than some of the other (defensive prospects) that are bigger point producers.
“I think that’s part of his appeal, that he plays the game well at both ends of the ice and plays with a little more edge and assertiveness than some of the other guys do.” — Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting Tony MacDonald.
More draft profiles:
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)