Jun 19, 2012, 5:47 PM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jacob Trouba (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 193 Shoots: Right
Team: U.S. National Development Program
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 9 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Trouba has all the “measurables” teams look for in a blueliner. He’s a a strong skater (despite almost giving up on it when he was four), throws his sizable frame around and can contribute offensively as well.
Trouba needs to polish his overall game, though, and one of the chief criticisms is that he needs to “refine” his defensive decision-making.
Of note, his favorite video game is “Super Monkey Ball.” You know that now. There’s no un-knowing it.
“He’s got good size, he’s got good skill. He plays a pretty solid two-way game and he probably plays with a little more edge than some of the other (defensive prospects) that are bigger point producers.
“I think that’s part of his appeal, that he plays the game well at both ends of the ice and plays with a little more edge and assertiveness than some of the other guys do.” — Carolina Hurricanes director of amateur scouting Tony MacDonald.
More draft profiles:
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)