Jun 19, 2012, 6:07 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cristoval Nieves (C)
Height: 6’3 Weight: 184 Shoots: Left
Team: Kent School (HIGH-CT)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 27 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
A speedster with a fair amount of potential as a playmaker, Nieves finished with seven goals and 39 points in 26 games with Kent in 2011-12, something of a disappointment after he got 11 goals and 28 assists in 22 games the year prior. He also had two goals and 10 points in 13 contests with the Indiana Ice of the USHL.
According to NHL.com, Nieves is committed to playing for the University of Michigan next season. That’s for the best as he’s probably not ready to make the jump to the NHL anyways.
Oh, in case you’re wondering, “Boo” is the short form of the “Bugaboo” nickname his parents gave him as a kid.
“Skating is Nieves’s biggest strength as his stride, acceleration, first step quickness and glide are all NHL caliber. He moves effortlessly on the ice and is able to converge on loose pucks as a result. Nieves played Prep School hockey this season so he was not overly tested.
“What was more alarming was his lack of offensive production in his sophomore season as he failed to add to his point totals from his freshman year; his goal production actually dropped. Nieves needs to assert himself more physically and compete harder in front of the goal and along the boards to generate his chances. He is a dimensional skater who passes the puck better than he shoots it.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey
More draft profiles:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)