Mar 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
If there’s an arms race heating up in the Eastern Conference, the Pittsburgh Penguins have taken a clear lead.
But the Boston Bruins might strike back hard.
Along with the Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, and Chicago Blackhawks, the Bruins are one of the four teams Jarome Iginla will reportedly waive his no-movement clause for if the Calgary Flames pull the trigger on an offer. The Bruins are also believed to be targeting other top-six forwards.
“I certainly don’t gauge our strategy on what other teams are doing, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and they’ve made themselves better,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN. “It doesn’t accelerate anything, you can’t force anything; you try to find a fit and you try to improve your team.
“The Penguins made themselves better, we’ll see in the coming week in a bit how other teams make themselves better, and we plan on doing the same thing.”
Chiarelli added that there was increased trade chatter on Monday.
In addition to Iginla, the Boston Bruins might target the San Jose Sharks’ Ryane Clowe and, should the Stars’ attempts to re-sign Jaromir Jagr fail, the 41-year-old is an option, too.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)