Mar 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
If there’s an arms race heating up in the Eastern Conference, the Pittsburgh Penguins have taken a clear lead.
But the Boston Bruins might strike back hard.
Along with the Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, and Chicago Blackhawks, the Bruins are one of the four teams Jarome Iginla will reportedly waive his no-movement clause for if the Calgary Flames pull the trigger on an offer. The Bruins are also believed to be targeting other top-six forwards.
“I certainly don’t gauge our strategy on what other teams are doing, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and they’ve made themselves better,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN. “It doesn’t accelerate anything, you can’t force anything; you try to find a fit and you try to improve your team.
“The Penguins made themselves better, we’ll see in the coming week in a bit how other teams make themselves better, and we plan on doing the same thing.”
Chiarelli added that there was increased trade chatter on Monday.
In addition to Iginla, the Boston Bruins might target the San Jose Sharks’ Ryane Clowe and, should the Stars’ attempts to re-sign Jaromir Jagr fail, the 41-year-old is an option, too.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)