Mar 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
If there’s an arms race heating up in the Eastern Conference, the Pittsburgh Penguins have taken a clear lead.
But the Boston Bruins might strike back hard.
Along with the Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, and Chicago Blackhawks, the Bruins are one of the four teams Jarome Iginla will reportedly waive his no-movement clause for if the Calgary Flames pull the trigger on an offer. The Bruins are also believed to be targeting other top-six forwards.
“I certainly don’t gauge our strategy on what other teams are doing, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and they’ve made themselves better,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN. “It doesn’t accelerate anything, you can’t force anything; you try to find a fit and you try to improve your team.
“The Penguins made themselves better, we’ll see in the coming week in a bit how other teams make themselves better, and we plan on doing the same thing.”
Chiarelli added that there was increased trade chatter on Monday.
In addition to Iginla, the Boston Bruins might target the San Jose Sharks’ Ryane Clowe and, should the Stars’ attempts to re-sign Jaromir Jagr fail, the 41-year-old is an option, too.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)