Mar 26, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
If there’s an arms race heating up in the Eastern Conference, the Pittsburgh Penguins have taken a clear lead.
But the Boston Bruins might strike back hard.
Along with the Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, and Chicago Blackhawks, the Bruins are one of the four teams Jarome Iginla will reportedly waive his no-movement clause for if the Calgary Flames pull the trigger on an offer. The Bruins are also believed to be targeting other top-six forwards.
“I certainly don’t gauge our strategy on what other teams are doing, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and they’ve made themselves better,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN. “It doesn’t accelerate anything, you can’t force anything; you try to find a fit and you try to improve your team.
“The Penguins made themselves better, we’ll see in the coming week in a bit how other teams make themselves better, and we plan on doing the same thing.”
Chiarelli added that there was increased trade chatter on Monday.
In addition to Iginla, the Boston Bruins might target the San Jose Sharks’ Ryane Clowe and, should the Stars’ attempts to re-sign Jaromir Jagr fail, the 41-year-old is an option, too.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 134
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)