Mar 25, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
For the second straight day, the Pittsburgh Penguins have added a veteran NHLer for their Cup run.
In return, the Sharks will receive two second-round picks from the Penguins (in 2013 and ’14), with the ’14 pick being conditional upon Murray re-signing with the Pens.
If he doesn’t re-sign or if Pittsburgh doesn’t win at least two playoff rounds, it becomes a third-rounder.
Murray, 33, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Sharks after being selected by the club at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, Murray was regarded as one of San Jose’s most physical and hard-hitting defensemen. He led the Sharks in hits last year, with 126, and and finished second in blocked shots (143).
The Swedish rearguard also has solid playoff experience, twice going to the Western Conference finals. All told, he’s played in 57 postseason contests, recording 2G-8A-10PTS.
The knock on Murray is his skating ability — he’s not exactly Paul Coffey out there — and, at 33, he’s certainly not getting any quicker.
That said, he will provide a physical presence on a blueline next to Brooks Orpik, who has led the Penguins in hits in each of the last two seasons.
Murray is in the final season of a four-year, $10 million deal signed in 2009, with an annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)