Mar 25, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
For the second straight day, the Pittsburgh Penguins have added a veteran NHLer for their Cup run.
In return, the Sharks will receive two second-round picks from the Penguins (in 2013 and ’14), with the ’14 pick being conditional upon Murray re-signing with the Pens.
If he doesn’t re-sign or if Pittsburgh doesn’t win at least two playoff rounds, it becomes a third-rounder.
Murray, 33, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Sharks after being selected by the club at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, Murray was regarded as one of San Jose’s most physical and hard-hitting defensemen. He led the Sharks in hits last year, with 126, and and finished second in blocked shots (143).
The Swedish rearguard also has solid playoff experience, twice going to the Western Conference finals. All told, he’s played in 57 postseason contests, recording 2G-8A-10PTS.
The knock on Murray is his skating ability — he’s not exactly Paul Coffey out there — and, at 33, he’s certainly not getting any quicker.
That said, he will provide a physical presence on a blueline next to Brooks Orpik, who has led the Penguins in hits in each of the last two seasons.
Murray is in the final season of a four-year, $10 million deal signed in 2009, with an annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)