Mar 25, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
For the second straight day, the Pittsburgh Penguins have added a veteran NHLer for their Cup run.
In return, the Sharks will receive two second-round picks from the Penguins (in 2013 and ’14), with the ’14 pick being conditional upon Murray re-signing with the Pens.
If he doesn’t re-sign or if Pittsburgh doesn’t win at least two playoff rounds, it becomes a third-rounder.
Murray, 33, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Sharks after being selected by the club at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, Murray was regarded as one of San Jose’s most physical and hard-hitting defensemen. He led the Sharks in hits last year, with 126, and and finished second in blocked shots (143).
The Swedish rearguard also has solid playoff experience, twice going to the Western Conference finals. All told, he’s played in 57 postseason contests, recording 2G-8A-10PTS.
The knock on Murray is his skating ability — he’s not exactly Paul Coffey out there — and, at 33, he’s certainly not getting any quicker.
That said, he will provide a physical presence on a blueline next to Brooks Orpik, who has led the Penguins in hits in each of the last two seasons.
Murray is in the final season of a four-year, $10 million deal signed in 2009, with an annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)