Mar 25, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
With the price of Calgary Flames forward Jarome Iginla reportedly sky-high, the Boston Bruins appear to be spreading their interests around.
That’s the story from CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty on Monday. According to sources, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is in on the Iginla talks, but also inquiring “about other available top six forwards.”
While getting Iginla would be a huge win for Boston, it would also come at a steep cost.
Sources suggest the Flames are high on 2012 first-round draft pick Malcolm Subban, who would theoretically be Miikka Kiprusoff‘s replacement when the 36-year-old Finn decides to call it a day.
But Subban would only be part of a package that would reportedly need to include another prospect and a draft pick — which may be too rich for Chiarelli.
Ergo, the B’s would need to look elsewhere for offensive talent.
Here’s more, from Haggerty:
A source with knowledge of trade discussions has indicated to CSNNE.com that the Bruins are in on several other available top six forwards just in case the Iginla talks fall apart. Jaromir Jagr and Marty St. Louis are a pair of game-changing players that could fit the bill as offensive playmakers and power-play boosters that could immediately help the Black and Gold’s attack.
They also might be available in a package for lesser assets than what Calgary is seeking for Iginla.
Czech Republic center David Krejci grew up idolizing Jagr, and acquiring the future Hall of Famer could provide a big boost for their No. 1 center. Likewise St. Louis’ playmaking abilities have factored heavily into the development of Steve Stamkos as a goal scorer for Tampa Bay. It has to be tantalizing to think what kind of damage a St. Louis/Seguin combo could do in black and gold.
Haggerty also reports Daniel Briere’s name has been mentioned as another possible trade target.
Last year, the Bruins failed to net an impact player at the deadline, opting instead to add depth with forward Brian Rolston and defenseman Mike Mottau.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)