Mar 24, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
The race to acquire Jarome Iginla at the trade deadline is about to get really hot.
Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports (link in French) the Flames captain has submitted a list of four teams he’d approve a trade to. Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh are his desired locations and it appears he’s very serious about winning the Stanley Cup this year.
All four teams are at or near the very top of the standings in their conferences and Iginla’s desire to play in any of those places shouldn’t be a shock. With Calgary fighting to just make the playoffs and Iginla slated to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, it’s an optimal time for Flames GM Jay Feaster to move him to a contender.
Now the question is: Who steps up with the best deal to obtain him?
Pittsburgh has plenty of defensive prospects to put into an offer. Chicago is stocked with depth at forward while L.A. has a balance at both positions as well as goaltender Jonathan Bernier in case the Flames might be looking to the future in goal as well. Boston has some intriguing prospects as well and CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty says the team is prepared to push for him.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)