Mar 26, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
They still have interest in Iginla and plan to pursue him, according to an ESPN source.
If that sounds far-fetched, keep in mind what Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero said in a recent NHL.com interview:
“It just seems this is the one year too that teams have that extra cap space. Where a team like us in the last couple of years really didn’t have any cap space and maybe moving forward with the cap going down, we might not have that in the future.”
In other words, there’s a unique opportunity for the Penguins to add big in their pursuit of the Stanley Cup without being overly concerned about exceeding the cap. If the Penguins pass on this chance, they might not find themselves in a position like this in future campaigns.
Meanwhile, one of their principal Eastern Conference rivals, the Boston Bruins, are also on the shortlist of teams that Iginla would accept a trade to.
If the Penguins don’t get Iginla, they might have to play against him in the second round or Eastern Conference Finals, although it’s worth adding that the Bruins are reportedly looking at alternatives to Iginla.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)