Mar 26, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They still have interest in Iginla and plan to pursue him, according to an ESPN source.
If that sounds far-fetched, keep in mind what Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero said in a recent NHL.com interview:
“It just seems this is the one year too that teams have that extra cap space. Where a team like us in the last couple of years really didn’t have any cap space and maybe moving forward with the cap going down, we might not have that in the future.”
In other words, there’s a unique opportunity for the Penguins to add big in their pursuit of the Stanley Cup without being overly concerned about exceeding the cap. If the Penguins pass on this chance, they might not find themselves in a position like this in future campaigns.
Meanwhile, one of their principal Eastern Conference rivals, the Boston Bruins, are also on the shortlist of teams that Iginla would accept a trade to.
If the Penguins don’t get Iginla, they might have to play against him in the second round or Eastern Conference Finals, although it’s worth adding that the Bruins are reportedly looking at alternatives to Iginla.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)