Mar 26, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
They still have interest in Iginla and plan to pursue him, according to an ESPN source.
If that sounds far-fetched, keep in mind what Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero said in a recent NHL.com interview:
“It just seems this is the one year too that teams have that extra cap space. Where a team like us in the last couple of years really didn’t have any cap space and maybe moving forward with the cap going down, we might not have that in the future.”
In other words, there’s a unique opportunity for the Penguins to add big in their pursuit of the Stanley Cup without being overly concerned about exceeding the cap. If the Penguins pass on this chance, they might not find themselves in a position like this in future campaigns.
Meanwhile, one of their principal Eastern Conference rivals, the Boston Bruins, are also on the shortlist of teams that Iginla would accept a trade to.
If the Penguins don’t get Iginla, they might have to play against him in the second round or Eastern Conference Finals, although it’s worth adding that the Bruins are reportedly looking at alternatives to Iginla.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)