Jun 29, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Filip Kuba (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.5 million
After two disappointing seasons with the Ottawa Senators, Kuba bounced back last year — a contract year, coincidentally — by scoring 32 points and leading the team in plus-minus (+26).
Yet barring a last-minute surprise, he won’t re-sign in Ottawa.
Kuba’s entering the twilight of his career and is a risky acquisition after his up-and-down tenure with Ottawa. But with Dennis Wideman signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Calgary Flames, he’s starting to look like a legit option for teams searching for a top-four defenseman.
With Wideman gone, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ottawa trades his negotiating rights to a team afraid of ending up empty handed.
That said, let’s not mistake Kuba as Plan B for teams that miss out on Ryan Suter. He’s essentially a cheap(er) top-four option for those that couldn’t afford Suter in the first place. Kubina won’t be a game-changer, but can be a complimentary piece for a franchise that’s already on the right path.
More UFA spotlights
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)