Jun 29, 2012, 11:13 AM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Filip Kuba (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.5 million
After two disappointing seasons with the Ottawa Senators, Kuba bounced back last year — a contract year, coincidentally — by scoring 32 points and leading the team in plus-minus (+26).
Yet barring a last-minute surprise, he won’t re-sign in Ottawa.
Kuba’s entering the twilight of his career and is a risky acquisition after his up-and-down tenure with Ottawa. But with Dennis Wideman signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Calgary Flames, he’s starting to look like a legit option for teams searching for a top-four defenseman.
With Wideman gone, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ottawa trades his negotiating rights to a team afraid of ending up empty handed.
That said, let’s not mistake Kuba as Plan B for teams that miss out on Ryan Suter. He’s essentially a cheap(er) top-four option for those that couldn’t afford Suter in the first place. Kubina won’t be a game-changer, but can be a complimentary piece for a franchise that’s already on the right path.
More UFA spotlights
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)