Jun 29, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Filip Kuba (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.5 million
After two disappointing seasons with the Ottawa Senators, Kuba bounced back last year — a contract year, coincidentally — by scoring 32 points and leading the team in plus-minus (+26).
Yet barring a last-minute surprise, he won’t re-sign in Ottawa.
Kuba’s entering the twilight of his career and is a risky acquisition after his up-and-down tenure with Ottawa. But with Dennis Wideman signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Calgary Flames, he’s starting to look like a legit option for teams searching for a top-four defenseman.
With Wideman gone, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ottawa trades his negotiating rights to a team afraid of ending up empty handed.
That said, let’s not mistake Kuba as Plan B for teams that miss out on Ryan Suter. He’s essentially a cheap(er) top-four option for those that couldn’t afford Suter in the first place. Kubina won’t be a game-changer, but can be a complimentary piece for a franchise that’s already on the right path.
More UFA spotlights
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)