Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Justin Schultz (D)
2011-12 cap hit: N/A
Schultz was originally drafted in 2007 by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round; however, he never signed with the club and has since blossomed with the Wisconsin Badgers into a potential “top-end defenseman,” according to former Flames GM Craig Button.
The word that’s often used when describing Schultz is “poise.” He’s the type of defenseman that can control the pace of the game and is cool under pressure. His skating is excellent; he has a great shot; and he’s no liability in his own end.
Schultz reportedly wants to sign with a team that can guarantee him a roster spot and playing time. So, where could he end up?
Vancouver is a potential landing spot, as Schultz is a Kelowna, BC, native.
Senators GM Bryan Murray said he thinks “it’s down to 3-5 teams, and I believe we’re one of those teams.”
Red Wings GM Ken Holland hopes to sell Schultz on the “tremendous opportunity” in Detroit.
The Maple Leafs, Flyers and Rangers are also believed to be in the mix.
Schultz can’t officially sign until July 1, but he can listen to pitches this week.
More UFA spotlights
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)