Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Justin Schultz (D)
2011-12 cap hit: N/A
Schultz was originally drafted in 2007 by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round; however, he never signed with the club and has since blossomed with the Wisconsin Badgers into a potential “top-end defenseman,” according to former Flames GM Craig Button.
The word that’s often used when describing Schultz is “poise.” He’s the type of defenseman that can control the pace of the game and is cool under pressure. His skating is excellent; he has a great shot; and he’s no liability in his own end.
Schultz reportedly wants to sign with a team that can guarantee him a roster spot and playing time. So, where could he end up?
Vancouver is a potential landing spot, as Schultz is a Kelowna, BC, native.
Senators GM Bryan Murray said he thinks “it’s down to 3-5 teams, and I believe we’re one of those teams.”
Red Wings GM Ken Holland hopes to sell Schultz on the “tremendous opportunity” in Detroit.
The Maple Leafs, Flyers and Rangers are also believed to be in the mix.
Schultz can’t officially sign until July 1, but he can listen to pitches this week.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)