Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Justin Schultz (D)
2011-12 cap hit: N/A
Schultz was originally drafted in 2007 by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round; however, he never signed with the club and has since blossomed with the Wisconsin Badgers into a potential “top-end defenseman,” according to former Flames GM Craig Button.
The word that’s often used when describing Schultz is “poise.” He’s the type of defenseman that can control the pace of the game and is cool under pressure. His skating is excellent; he has a great shot; and he’s no liability in his own end.
Schultz reportedly wants to sign with a team that can guarantee him a roster spot and playing time. So, where could he end up?
Vancouver is a potential landing spot, as Schultz is a Kelowna, BC, native.
Senators GM Bryan Murray said he thinks “it’s down to 3-5 teams, and I believe we’re one of those teams.”
Red Wings GM Ken Holland hopes to sell Schultz on the “tremendous opportunity” in Detroit.
The Maple Leafs, Flyers and Rangers are also believed to be in the mix.
Schultz can’t officially sign until July 1, but he can listen to pitches this week.
More UFA spotlights
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17