Jun 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Garrison (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $675,000
It’s believed Garrison wants to stay with the Panthers, and the two sides have had talks; however, it’s not clear whether Florida can afford to keep the late-bloomer with the big shot.
Garrison is coming off consecutive strong NHL seasons. His point total increased dramatically in 2011-12, with 16 goals and 17 assists playing alongside the newly acquired Brian Campbell.
Garrison also had an effective 2010-11 campaign — a fact many overlook — logging 22:18 per game while leading the team in hits and blocking a ton of shots.
If Garrison and the Panthers can’t come to terms, the St. Louis Blues are reportedly interested.
Other teams will be interested, too.
A Vancouver-area native, Garrison said in May that playing for the Canucks would be a thrill.
“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”
More UFA spotlights
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 0
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 22
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)