Jun 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Garrison (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $675,000
It’s believed Garrison wants to stay with the Panthers, and the two sides have had talks; however, it’s not clear whether Florida can afford to keep the late-bloomer with the big shot.
Garrison is coming off consecutive strong NHL seasons. His point total increased dramatically in 2011-12, with 16 goals and 17 assists playing alongside the newly acquired Brian Campbell.
Garrison also had an effective 2010-11 campaign — a fact many overlook — logging 22:18 per game while leading the team in hits and blocking a ton of shots.
If Garrison and the Panthers can’t come to terms, the St. Louis Blues are reportedly interested.
Other teams will be interested, too.
A Vancouver-area native, Garrison said in May that playing for the Canucks would be a thrill.
“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”
More UFA spotlights
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (98)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)