Jun 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Garrison (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $675,000
It’s believed Garrison wants to stay with the Panthers, and the two sides have had talks; however, it’s not clear whether Florida can afford to keep the late-bloomer with the big shot.
Garrison is coming off consecutive strong NHL seasons. His point total increased dramatically in 2011-12, with 16 goals and 17 assists playing alongside the newly acquired Brian Campbell.
Garrison also had an effective 2010-11 campaign — a fact many overlook — logging 22:18 per game while leading the team in hits and blocking a ton of shots.
If Garrison and the Panthers can’t come to terms, the St. Louis Blues are reportedly interested.
Other teams will be interested, too.
A Vancouver-area native, Garrison said in May that playing for the Canucks would be a thrill.
“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”
More UFA spotlights
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 19
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights