Jun 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Garrison (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $675,000
It’s believed Garrison wants to stay with the Panthers, and the two sides have had talks; however, it’s not clear whether Florida can afford to keep the late-bloomer with the big shot.
Garrison is coming off consecutive strong NHL seasons. His point total increased dramatically in 2011-12, with 16 goals and 17 assists playing alongside the newly acquired Brian Campbell.
Garrison also had an effective 2010-11 campaign — a fact many overlook — logging 22:18 per game while leading the team in hits and blocking a ton of shots.
If Garrison and the Panthers can’t come to terms, the St. Louis Blues are reportedly interested.
Other teams will be interested, too.
A Vancouver-area native, Garrison said in May that playing for the Canucks would be a thrill.
“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”
More UFA spotlights
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 22
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)