Jun 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Garrison (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $675,000
It’s believed Garrison wants to stay with the Panthers, and the two sides have had talks; however, it’s not clear whether Florida can afford to keep the late-bloomer with the big shot.
Garrison is coming off consecutive strong NHL seasons. His point total increased dramatically in 2011-12, with 16 goals and 17 assists playing alongside the newly acquired Brian Campbell.
Garrison also had an effective 2010-11 campaign — a fact many overlook — logging 22:18 per game while leading the team in hits and blocking a ton of shots.
If Garrison and the Panthers can’t come to terms, the St. Louis Blues are reportedly interested.
Other teams will be interested, too.
A Vancouver-area native, Garrison said in May that playing for the Canucks would be a thrill.
“It’s always nice to be wanted and if that’s the case and you have a quality that they like, obviously it’s my hometown team and I grew up watching them play,” said Garrison. “My friends and family are big Canuck fans and would love to see me play at home but you’ve got to be the right fit for a team. You want to be able to contribute.”
More UFA spotlights
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)