Jun 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
The Calgary Flames have signed Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million deal after acquiring the 29-year-old defenseman’s rights from the Washington Capitals for minor-leaguer Jordan Henry and a fifth-round pick in the 2013 NHL draft.
Wideman’s annual cap hit works out to $5.25 million.
For Flames GM Jay Feaster, the deal represents a fulfillment of his promise to make significant changes to a club that’s missed the playoffs three straight seasons.
“We have a lot of things we’re planning on doing,” Feaster said earlier this week.
“Trades are one of those things, and we’re going to continue to have conversations on the trade front. And free agency is another.”
Or, as it turns out, both.
Wideman is coming off a 46-point season with the Caps in which he averaged 23:54 of ice time per game. However, with Mike Green needing a new contract and 22-year-old John Carlson there to provide offense from the back end, Wideman’s salary demands apparently didn’t make sense for Washington to meet.
Then again, maybe Jay Bouwmeester’s available now?
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 55
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)