Jun 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have signed Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million deal after acquiring the 29-year-old defenseman’s rights from the Washington Capitals for minor-leaguer Jordan Henry and a fifth-round pick in the 2013 NHL draft.
Wideman’s annual cap hit works out to $5.25 million.
For Flames GM Jay Feaster, the deal represents a fulfillment of his promise to make significant changes to a club that’s missed the playoffs three straight seasons.
“We have a lot of things we’re planning on doing,” Feaster said earlier this week.
“Trades are one of those things, and we’re going to continue to have conversations on the trade front. And free agency is another.”
Or, as it turns out, both.
Wideman is coming off a 46-point season with the Caps in which he averaged 23:54 of ice time per game. However, with Mike Green needing a new contract and 22-year-old John Carlson there to provide offense from the back end, Wideman’s salary demands apparently didn’t make sense for Washington to meet.
Then again, maybe Jay Bouwmeester’s available now?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)