Jun 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have signed Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million deal after acquiring the 29-year-old defenseman’s rights from the Washington Capitals for minor-leaguer Jordan Henry and a fifth-round pick in the 2013 NHL draft.
Wideman’s annual cap hit works out to $5.25 million.
For Flames GM Jay Feaster, the deal represents a fulfillment of his promise to make significant changes to a club that’s missed the playoffs three straight seasons.
“We have a lot of things we’re planning on doing,” Feaster said earlier this week.
“Trades are one of those things, and we’re going to continue to have conversations on the trade front. And free agency is another.”
Or, as it turns out, both.
Wideman is coming off a 46-point season with the Caps in which he averaged 23:54 of ice time per game. However, with Mike Green needing a new contract and 22-year-old John Carlson there to provide offense from the back end, Wideman’s salary demands apparently didn’t make sense for Washington to meet.
Then again, maybe Jay Bouwmeester’s available now?
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)