Jun 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
The other day we talked about how Sergei Gonchar‘s future in Ottawa was potentially in doubt thanks to the Senators needing to get Erik Karlsson and Filip Kuba signed. As it turns out, Kuba’s future in Ottawa is the one looking gloomy.
Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra hears from Senators GM Bryan Murray that Kuba is looking for a payday that won’t be coming from him.
“I think we’re moving on,” Murray said. “I haven’t heard from him. I talked to his agent before the year ended and told him sort of the thoughts I had, about what we might consider and I haven’t heard back.
“He’s going to get his money. I think he’s going to get similar money to what he was earning with us,” Murray said. “And I’m not going to go there I don’t think.”
Kuba is 35-years-old and proved to be a big help to Karlsson this past season as he broke out to become a Norris Trophy finalist. The Senators have just three defensemen under contract for next season and have Karlsson as a restricted free agent. They’ll be busy, but it appears Kuba will be looking for a new home next season.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)