Jun 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
The other day we talked about how Sergei Gonchar‘s future in Ottawa was potentially in doubt thanks to the Senators needing to get Erik Karlsson and Filip Kuba signed. As it turns out, Kuba’s future in Ottawa is the one looking gloomy.
Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra hears from Senators GM Bryan Murray that Kuba is looking for a payday that won’t be coming from him.
“I think we’re moving on,” Murray said. “I haven’t heard from him. I talked to his agent before the year ended and told him sort of the thoughts I had, about what we might consider and I haven’t heard back.
“He’s going to get his money. I think he’s going to get similar money to what he was earning with us,” Murray said. “And I’m not going to go there I don’t think.”
Kuba is 35-years-old and proved to be a big help to Karlsson this past season as he broke out to become a Norris Trophy finalist. The Senators have just three defensemen under contract for next season and have Karlsson as a restricted free agent. They’ll be busy, but it appears Kuba will be looking for a new home next season.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)