Jun 5, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
The other day we talked about how Sergei Gonchar‘s future in Ottawa was potentially in doubt thanks to the Senators needing to get Erik Karlsson and Filip Kuba signed. As it turns out, Kuba’s future in Ottawa is the one looking gloomy.
Wayne Scanlan of Senators Extra hears from Senators GM Bryan Murray that Kuba is looking for a payday that won’t be coming from him.
“I think we’re moving on,” Murray said. “I haven’t heard from him. I talked to his agent before the year ended and told him sort of the thoughts I had, about what we might consider and I haven’t heard back.
“He’s going to get his money. I think he’s going to get similar money to what he was earning with us,” Murray said. “And I’m not going to go there I don’t think.”
Kuba is 35-years-old and proved to be a big help to Karlsson this past season as he broke out to become a Norris Trophy finalist. The Senators have just three defensemen under contract for next season and have Karlsson as a restricted free agent. They’ll be busy, but it appears Kuba will be looking for a new home next season.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)