Jun 26, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Shane Doan (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $4.55 million
If the Coyotes were guaranteed to be staying in Phoenix, Doan would’ve already re-signed with the franchise that drafted him back in 1995 when it was still in Winnipeg.
“I’ve been here for 16 years this August,” Doan said in May. “It’s been great to my family and I.
“I have a 13-year-old daughter that this is home to. She has never lived anywhere else. All her friends, their families are all here. This is home for us. We enjoy it. It’s something that we hope gets settled.”
However, with the Coyotes’ future still up in the air, Doan hasn’t been willing to commit to anything.
“They have been unbelievably open and honest and great with me and I can’t say enough about how good they’ve been,” he told Arizona Sports 620 last week. “And yet their hands are so tied with the whole stumbling block that keeps popping up with the team, and that is frustrating.”
It’s not clear how long Doan is willing to wait for the ownership situation to play out. At 35, he’ll want to sign for multiple years. But getting that sort of security may force him to look elsewhere, as we certainly won’t know by Sunday if the Coyotes will be staying or going.
Doan had 22 goals and 28 assists in 79 regular-season games last season, then added five goals in 16 playoff contests.
More UFA spotlights
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)