Jun 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexander Semin (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $6.7 million
The skinny: Semin is one of the more interesting available free agents. He’s a former 40-goal scorer. He’s got a tremendous shot with incredible skill and can give any team’s offense a lift when he’s on. Those are the good things.
The bad? He has a penchant for bad penalties and his effort level is questionable at times.
So, where could he end up? Well, watching him skate with Pavel Datsyuk during the World Championships made some fans in Detroit ponder the idea of Semin joining the Red Wings. We all know GM Ken Holland has cap space to work with. Would he take a chance on a guy with considerable upside?
More UFA spotlights
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54