Jun 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexander Semin (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $6.7 million
The skinny: Semin is one of the more interesting available free agents. He’s a former 40-goal scorer. He’s got a tremendous shot with incredible skill and can give any team’s offense a lift when he’s on. Those are the good things.
The bad? He has a penchant for bad penalties and his effort level is questionable at times.
So, where could he end up? Well, watching him skate with Pavel Datsyuk during the World Championships made some fans in Detroit ponder the idea of Semin joining the Red Wings. We all know GM Ken Holland has cap space to work with. Would he take a chance on a guy with considerable upside?
More UFA spotlights
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 70
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5