Jun 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexander Semin (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $6.7 million
The skinny: Semin is one of the more interesting available free agents. He’s a former 40-goal scorer. He’s got a tremendous shot with incredible skill and can give any team’s offense a lift when he’s on. Those are the good things.
The bad? He has a penchant for bad penalties and his effort level is questionable at times.
So, where could he end up? Well, watching him skate with Pavel Datsyuk during the World Championships made some fans in Detroit ponder the idea of Semin joining the Red Wings. We all know GM Ken Holland has cap space to work with. Would he take a chance on a guy with considerable upside?
More UFA spotlights
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)