Jun 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexander Semin (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $6.7 million
The skinny: Semin is one of the more interesting available free agents. He’s a former 40-goal scorer. He’s got a tremendous shot with incredible skill and can give any team’s offense a lift when he’s on. Those are the good things.
The bad? He has a penchant for bad penalties and his effort level is questionable at times.
So, where could he end up? Well, watching him skate with Pavel Datsyuk during the World Championships made some fans in Detroit ponder the idea of Semin joining the Red Wings. We all know GM Ken Holland has cap space to work with. Would he take a chance on a guy with considerable upside?
More UFA spotlights
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)