Jun 27, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jason Arnott (C)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.875 million
At his age – he’ll turn 38 by the time next season begins – Jason Arnott likely won’t have a ton of offers to sift through. In fact, he might just want to root for the St. Louis Blues to follow GM Doug Armstrong’s stated plan of making limited moves.
Even so, he could get squeezed out amid the team’s continuing youth movement. The playing time he received in 2011-12 was surely augmented by the rash of injuries that struck the Blues. He responded respectably but not spectacularly, scoring 17 goals and 34 points in 72 games before only generating a goal in seven postseason contests.
Age and limited productivity will hold him back, yet you can’t totally discount his size and shot. Also, the Washington Capitals raved about Arnott’s leadership qualities in 2010-11.
Not much has been made about his league-wide appeal, but if he doesn’t get a job based on familiarity (the New Jersey Devils already brought him back once to limited results), he’ll likely make the most sense as a cheap veteran on a contender. Arnott has a solid chance of landing with someone if he’s willing to accept another one-year deal – probably for quite a bit less cash.
More UFA spotlights
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)