Jun 27, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jaromir Jagr (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.3 million
The skinny: After leaving the NHL for the KHL in 2009, Jagr returned to North America last season and fit in nicely with the high-scoring Flyers, tallying 19G-35A-54PTS in 73 games.
But as the year progressed, some red flags started to emerge. A nagging groin injury cost him a handful of games, and after scoring 34 points in 40 games prior to the All-Star break, he scored just 20 in 33 to finish the year.
That set the stage for a somewhat sour ending. After the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs, Jagr expressed frustration at his ice time under head coach Peter Laviolette and wouldn’t publicly commit to re-signing in Philadelphia.
As such, many figure his time in Philly is done.
So who might be in the mix?
The Flames are rumored as a potential suitor, due in part to signing Jagr’s ex-KHL running mate Roman Cervenka. Detroit might be interested given GM Ken Holland’s history of signing veteran skill guys in free agency (think Brian Rafalski, Marian Hossa, Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, etc. etc.)
Jagr’s admitted he’s always held a soft spot for the Rangers, as he revitalized his career in New York following the lockout. Intriguing possibility, as the Blueshirts are a team looking to add offense and could do worse than getting Jagr on a one-year deal.
The reality is that any potential deal will hinge on two things. One, what money Jagr’s looking for and two, how his body will hold up to another season at the NHL level. To that end, it should be noted that TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Jagr’s changed his offseason training methods “to shed some pounds and get faster.”
More UFA spotlights
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)