May 10, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
Interesting tidbit here from Philly.com’s Sam Carchidi in the wake of Flyers locker clean-out day:
Jaromir Jagr was given several chances to say he wanted to return to the Flyers. He did not bite. It appears he will test the FA market.
It’s understandable that Jagr was non-committal — fellow over-40ers Nicklas Lidstrom and Teemu Selanne are also weighing their options — but the notion he would play for an NHL club other than Philly is interesting.
Jagr was, after all, the same guy that called this season “the most enjoyable year I’ve ever had,” and said he felt like crying after the Game 5 loss to New Jersey.
Mind you, No. 68 didn’t sound entirely happy with how he was utilized in Philly.
Randy Miller of the Post-Courier notes that Jagr “wants to see how the Flyers would use him before deciding to stay,” and “felt he would have been better this season if Lavvy [Peter Laviolette] had given him more ice time.”
(Jagr’s quote: “Sometimes I felt I can be better if I played a little more than I played.”)
Not surprising to hear such comments from Jagr, who tends to get his nose out of joint over perceived slights. Remember, he openly voiced displeasure after the Penguins made re-signing Tyler Kennedy a higher priority last summer, fueling speculation that was the reason he spurned Pittsburgh in favor of Philadelphia.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)