May 10, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
Interesting tidbit here from Philly.com’s Sam Carchidi in the wake of Flyers locker clean-out day:
Jaromir Jagr was given several chances to say he wanted to return to the Flyers. He did not bite. It appears he will test the FA market.
It’s understandable that Jagr was non-committal — fellow over-40ers Nicklas Lidstrom and Teemu Selanne are also weighing their options — but the notion he would play for an NHL club other than Philly is interesting.
Jagr was, after all, the same guy that called this season “the most enjoyable year I’ve ever had,” and said he felt like crying after the Game 5 loss to New Jersey.
Mind you, No. 68 didn’t sound entirely happy with how he was utilized in Philly.
Randy Miller of the Post-Courier notes that Jagr “wants to see how the Flyers would use him before deciding to stay,” and “felt he would have been better this season if Lavvy [Peter Laviolette] had given him more ice time.”
(Jagr’s quote: “Sometimes I felt I can be better if I played a little more than I played.”)
Not surprising to hear such comments from Jagr, who tends to get his nose out of joint over perceived slights. Remember, he openly voiced displeasure after the Penguins made re-signing Tyler Kennedy a higher priority last summer, fueling speculation that was the reason he spurned Pittsburgh in favor of Philadelphia.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)