Jun 27, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
P. A. Parenteau (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1,250,000
The Islanders found a diamond in the rough when they signed Parenteau in 2010. He recorded 53 points in 81 games before re-signing with the Islanders at a bargain price last summer. But despite a second successful campaign in New York, it looks like he’ll be searching for a new home on July 1.
A late bloomer that hasn’t had success at the NHL level outside of Long Island, the fear with Parenteau is that he won’t be able to produce without John Tavares — although it’s worth noting Tavares only got a goal or assist on 33 of Parenteau’s 67 points last year.
As a result, Parenteau might not command the kind of contract you’d expect from a man who tied for 26th in league scoring.
That said, the relatively thin free agent market will work in his favor and there should be plenty of teams interested. Even if you buy into the argument that Parenteau’s numbers reflect the talent put around him, there’s still the possibility that he’ll produce similar results if inserted onto a line with a different star forward.
More UFA spotlights
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 0
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 6
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)