Jun 27, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
P. A. Parenteau (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1,250,000
The Islanders found a diamond in the rough when they signed Parenteau in 2010. He recorded 53 points in 81 games before re-signing with the Islanders at a bargain price last summer. But despite a second successful campaign in New York, it looks like he’ll be searching for a new home on July 1.
A late bloomer that hasn’t had success at the NHL level outside of Long Island, the fear with Parenteau is that he won’t be able to produce without John Tavares — although it’s worth noting Tavares only got a goal or assist on 33 of Parenteau’s 67 points last year.
As a result, Parenteau might not command the kind of contract you’d expect from a man who tied for 26th in league scoring.
That said, the relatively thin free agent market will work in his favor and there should be plenty of teams interested. Even if you buy into the argument that Parenteau’s numbers reflect the talent put around him, there’s still the possibility that he’ll produce similar results if inserted onto a line with a different star forward.
More UFA spotlights
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)