Jun 27, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
P. A. Parenteau (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1,250,000
The Islanders found a diamond in the rough when they signed Parenteau in 2010. He recorded 53 points in 81 games before re-signing with the Islanders at a bargain price last summer. But despite a second successful campaign in New York, it looks like he’ll be searching for a new home on July 1.
A late bloomer that hasn’t had success at the NHL level outside of Long Island, the fear with Parenteau is that he won’t be able to produce without John Tavares — although it’s worth noting Tavares only got a goal or assist on 33 of Parenteau’s 67 points last year.
As a result, Parenteau might not command the kind of contract you’d expect from a man who tied for 26th in league scoring.
That said, the relatively thin free agent market will work in his favor and there should be plenty of teams interested. Even if you buy into the argument that Parenteau’s numbers reflect the talent put around him, there’s still the possibility that he’ll produce similar results if inserted onto a line with a different star forward.
More UFA spotlights
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)