Jun 27, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
P. A. Parenteau (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1,250,000
The Islanders found a diamond in the rough when they signed Parenteau in 2010. He recorded 53 points in 81 games before re-signing with the Islanders at a bargain price last summer. But despite a second successful campaign in New York, it looks like he’ll be searching for a new home on July 1.
A late bloomer that hasn’t had success at the NHL level outside of Long Island, the fear with Parenteau is that he won’t be able to produce without John Tavares — although it’s worth noting Tavares only got a goal or assist on 33 of Parenteau’s 67 points last year.
As a result, Parenteau might not command the kind of contract you’d expect from a man who tied for 26th in league scoring.
That said, the relatively thin free agent market will work in his favor and there should be plenty of teams interested. Even if you buy into the argument that Parenteau’s numbers reflect the talent put around him, there’s still the possibility that he’ll produce similar results if inserted onto a line with a different star forward.
More UFA spotlights
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)