Jun 27, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dennis Wideman (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.94 million
Although Wideman’s expressed interest in re-signing with the Washington Capitals, it’s becoming increasingly likely he’ll test free agent waters. That should be intriguing to a number of teams, as he’s reached or surpassed the 40-point mark in three of his last four years and he eats minutes like few others.
After Ryan Suter, Wideman will likely get the richest contract out of all the blueliners projected to enter the unrestricted free agent market. The Detroit Red Wings are a potential suitor, although they’re expected to prioritize the Nashville blueliner.
Similarly, the Philadelphia Flyers might go after Wideman. He’ll likely have a lower cap hit than Suter and that’s key, because the Flyers don’t have a lot of breathing room between them and the ceiling. That said, Philadelphia’s interest in obtaining a defenseman is less urgent now that Luke Schenn‘s in the fold.
If Suter signs first, the teams that pursued him will probably turn their attentions to Wideman. As a result, he should end up with plenty of possible destinations to choose from.
Update: He signed with the Calgary Flames.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)