Jun 27, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dennis Wideman (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.94 million
Although Wideman’s expressed interest in re-signing with the Washington Capitals, it’s becoming increasingly likely he’ll test free agent waters. That should be intriguing to a number of teams, as he’s reached or surpassed the 40-point mark in three of his last four years and he eats minutes like few others.
After Ryan Suter, Wideman will likely get the richest contract out of all the blueliners projected to enter the unrestricted free agent market. The Detroit Red Wings are a potential suitor, although they’re expected to prioritize the Nashville blueliner.
Similarly, the Philadelphia Flyers might go after Wideman. He’ll likely have a lower cap hit than Suter and that’s key, because the Flyers don’t have a lot of breathing room between them and the ceiling. That said, Philadelphia’s interest in obtaining a defenseman is less urgent now that Luke Schenn‘s in the fold.
If Suter signs first, the teams that pursued him will probably turn their attentions to Wideman. As a result, he should end up with plenty of possible destinations to choose from.
Update: He signed with the Calgary Flames.
More UFA spotlights
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)