Jun 27, 2012, 6:00 AM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dennis Wideman (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.94 million
Although Wideman’s expressed interest in re-signing with the Washington Capitals, it’s becoming increasingly likely he’ll test free agent waters. That should be intriguing to a number of teams, as he’s reached or surpassed the 40-point mark in three of his last four years and he eats minutes like few others.
After Ryan Suter, Wideman will likely get the richest contract out of all the blueliners projected to enter the unrestricted free agent market. The Detroit Red Wings are a potential suitor, although they’re expected to prioritize the Nashville blueliner.
Similarly, the Philadelphia Flyers might go after Wideman. He’ll likely have a lower cap hit than Suter and that’s key, because the Flyers don’t have a lot of breathing room between them and the ceiling. That said, Philadelphia’s interest in obtaining a defenseman is less urgent now that Luke Schenn‘s in the fold.
If Suter signs first, the teams that pursued him will probably turn their attentions to Wideman. As a result, he should end up with plenty of possible destinations to choose from.
Update: He signed with the Calgary Flames.
More UFA spotlights
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)