Jun 27, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dennis Wideman (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.94 million
Although Wideman’s expressed interest in re-signing with the Washington Capitals, it’s becoming increasingly likely he’ll test free agent waters. That should be intriguing to a number of teams, as he’s reached or surpassed the 40-point mark in three of his last four years and he eats minutes like few others.
After Ryan Suter, Wideman will likely get the richest contract out of all the blueliners projected to enter the unrestricted free agent market. The Detroit Red Wings are a potential suitor, although they’re expected to prioritize the Nashville blueliner.
Similarly, the Philadelphia Flyers might go after Wideman. He’ll likely have a lower cap hit than Suter and that’s key, because the Flyers don’t have a lot of breathing room between them and the ceiling. That said, Philadelphia’s interest in obtaining a defenseman is less urgent now that Luke Schenn‘s in the fold.
If Suter signs first, the teams that pursued him will probably turn their attentions to Wideman. As a result, he should end up with plenty of possible destinations to choose from.
Update: He signed with the Calgary Flames.
More UFA spotlights
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)