Jun 27, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dennis Wideman (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.94 million
Although Wideman’s expressed interest in re-signing with the Washington Capitals, it’s becoming increasingly likely he’ll test free agent waters. That should be intriguing to a number of teams, as he’s reached or surpassed the 40-point mark in three of his last four years and he eats minutes like few others.
After Ryan Suter, Wideman will likely get the richest contract out of all the blueliners projected to enter the unrestricted free agent market. The Detroit Red Wings are a potential suitor, although they’re expected to prioritize the Nashville blueliner.
Similarly, the Philadelphia Flyers might go after Wideman. He’ll likely have a lower cap hit than Suter and that’s key, because the Flyers don’t have a lot of breathing room between them and the ceiling. That said, Philadelphia’s interest in obtaining a defenseman is less urgent now that Luke Schenn‘s in the fold.
If Suter signs first, the teams that pursued him will probably turn their attentions to Wideman. As a result, he should end up with plenty of possible destinations to choose from.
Update: He signed with the Calgary Flames.
More UFA spotlights
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 6
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)