Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 1 — the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
The last time the Boston Bruins had won the Stanley Cup — 1972 — the world was a different place. Richard Nixon was in office, the first scientific hand-held calculator was introduced, Bob Douglas became the first African-American to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and The Godfather was released in theaters.
So yeah, long time between titles.
That’s just one of the things that made Boston’s 2012 Stanley Cup victory so memorable…but it was far from the only thing. There was Tim Thomas‘ virtuoso performance, stopping an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. There was Boston’s heroic comeback from an 0-2 series deficit, outscoring Vancouver 21-4 over the final five games. There was the sentimentality of Mark Recchi’s farewell, winning one last time before announcing his retirement.
And of course, there was Boston captain Zdeno Chara hoisting the Cup skyward:
“It’s a huge honour and it’s a privilege,”Chara said of hoisting the Cup. “I’ll probably remember that feeling and that moment for the rest of my life.”
And so ends our countdown of the Top 10 2011 Playoff Moments.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)