Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 1 — the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
The last time the Boston Bruins had won the Stanley Cup — 1972 — the world was a different place. Richard Nixon was in office, the first scientific hand-held calculator was introduced, Bob Douglas became the first African-American to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and The Godfather was released in theaters.
So yeah, long time between titles.
That’s just one of the things that made Boston’s 2012 Stanley Cup victory so memorable…but it was far from the only thing. There was Tim Thomas‘ virtuoso performance, stopping an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. There was Boston’s heroic comeback from an 0-2 series deficit, outscoring Vancouver 21-4 over the final five games. There was the sentimentality of Mark Recchi’s farewell, winning one last time before announcing his retirement.
And of course, there was Boston captain Zdeno Chara hoisting the Cup skyward:
“It’s a huge honour and it’s a privilege,”Chara said of hoisting the Cup. “I’ll probably remember that feeling and that moment for the rest of my life.”
And so ends our countdown of the Top 10 2011 Playoff Moments.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)