Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 1 — the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
The last time the Boston Bruins had won the Stanley Cup — 1972 — the world was a different place. Richard Nixon was in office, the first scientific hand-held calculator was introduced, Bob Douglas became the first African-American to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and The Godfather was released in theaters.
So yeah, long time between titles.
That’s just one of the things that made Boston’s 2012 Stanley Cup victory so memorable…but it was far from the only thing. There was Tim Thomas‘ virtuoso performance, stopping an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. There was Boston’s heroic comeback from an 0-2 series deficit, outscoring Vancouver 21-4 over the final five games. There was the sentimentality of Mark Recchi’s farewell, winning one last time before announcing his retirement.
And of course, there was Boston captain Zdeno Chara hoisting the Cup skyward:
“It’s a huge honour and it’s a privilege,”Chara said of hoisting the Cup. “I’ll probably remember that feeling and that moment for the rest of my life.”
And so ends our countdown of the Top 10 2011 Playoff Moments.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)