Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 1 — the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
The last time the Boston Bruins had won the Stanley Cup — 1972 — the world was a different place. Richard Nixon was in office, the first scientific hand-held calculator was introduced, Bob Douglas became the first African-American to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and The Godfather was released in theaters.
So yeah, long time between titles.
That’s just one of the things that made Boston’s 2012 Stanley Cup victory so memorable…but it was far from the only thing. There was Tim Thomas‘ virtuoso performance, stopping an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. There was Boston’s heroic comeback from an 0-2 series deficit, outscoring Vancouver 21-4 over the final five games. There was the sentimentality of Mark Recchi’s farewell, winning one last time before announcing his retirement.
And of course, there was Boston captain Zdeno Chara hoisting the Cup skyward:
“It’s a huge honour and it’s a privilege,”Chara said of hoisting the Cup. “I’ll probably remember that feeling and that moment for the rest of my life.”
And so ends our countdown of the Top 10 2011 Playoff Moments.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness