Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 1 — the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
The last time the Boston Bruins had won the Stanley Cup — 1972 — the world was a different place. Richard Nixon was in office, the first scientific hand-held calculator was introduced, Bob Douglas became the first African-American to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and The Godfather was released in theaters.
So yeah, long time between titles.
That’s just one of the things that made Boston’s 2012 Stanley Cup victory so memorable…but it was far from the only thing. There was Tim Thomas‘ virtuoso performance, stopping an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. There was Boston’s heroic comeback from an 0-2 series deficit, outscoring Vancouver 21-4 over the final five games. There was the sentimentality of Mark Recchi’s farewell, winning one last time before announcing his retirement.
And of course, there was Boston captain Zdeno Chara hoisting the Cup skyward:
“It’s a huge honour and it’s a privilege,”Chara said of hoisting the Cup. “I’ll probably remember that feeling and that moment for the rest of my life.”
And so ends our countdown of the Top 10 2011 Playoff Moments.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)