Apr 1, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 10 — the Philadelphia Flyers staying alive in their opening playoff series against Buffalo with a comeback victory in OT.
Heading into Game 6 of their series with Buffalo down three games to two, the Flyers knew they couldn’t fall behind early.
But that’s exactly what they did.
The seventh-seeded Sabres scored twice in the first nine minutes and carried a 4-3 lead into the third period, and it looked as though No. 2 seed Philly was done — until Scott Hartnell broke out of his slump to score his first goal of the series:
Hartnell’s goal forced overtime, and one of the most unforgettable finishes of the 2011 postseason:
Ville Leino scored at 4:43 of the first overtime period to keep the Flyers alive and push the series to Game 7 — which Philly would win, 5-2.
“I’ve been through some pretty wild and crazy games through my career,” Daniel Briere said following the epic Game 6. “And today was one of them, the roller-coaster ride that it was.
“My heart definitely skipped a few beats today.”
Check back daily for the latest installment of PHT’s Top 10 moments of the 2011 playoffs.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)