Apr 1, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 10 — the Philadelphia Flyers staying alive in their opening playoff series against Buffalo with a comeback victory in OT.
Heading into Game 6 of their series with Buffalo down three games to two, the Flyers knew they couldn’t fall behind early.
But that’s exactly what they did.
The seventh-seeded Sabres scored twice in the first nine minutes and carried a 4-3 lead into the third period, and it looked as though No. 2 seed Philly was done — until Scott Hartnell broke out of his slump to score his first goal of the series:
Hartnell’s goal forced overtime, and one of the most unforgettable finishes of the 2011 postseason:
Ville Leino scored at 4:43 of the first overtime period to keep the Flyers alive and push the series to Game 7 — which Philly would win, 5-2.
“I’ve been through some pretty wild and crazy games through my career,” Daniel Briere said following the epic Game 6. “And today was one of them, the roller-coaster ride that it was.
“My heart definitely skipped a few beats today.”
Check back daily for the latest installment of PHT’s Top 10 moments of the 2011 playoffs.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)