Apr 1, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 10 — the Philadelphia Flyers staying alive in their opening playoff series against Buffalo with a comeback victory in OT.
Heading into Game 6 of their series with Buffalo down three games to two, the Flyers knew they couldn’t fall behind early.
But that’s exactly what they did.
The seventh-seeded Sabres scored twice in the first nine minutes and carried a 4-3 lead into the third period, and it looked as though No. 2 seed Philly was done — until Scott Hartnell broke out of his slump to score his first goal of the series:
Hartnell’s goal forced overtime, and one of the most unforgettable finishes of the 2011 postseason:
Ville Leino scored at 4:43 of the first overtime period to keep the Flyers alive and push the series to Game 7 — which Philly would win, 5-2.
“I’ve been through some pretty wild and crazy games through my career,” Daniel Briere said following the epic Game 6. “And today was one of them, the roller-coaster ride that it was.
“My heart definitely skipped a few beats today.”
Check back daily for the latest installment of PHT’s Top 10 moments of the 2011 playoffs.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)