Apr 1, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 10 — the Philadelphia Flyers staying alive in their opening playoff series against Buffalo with a comeback victory in OT.
Heading into Game 6 of their series with Buffalo down three games to two, the Flyers knew they couldn’t fall behind early.
But that’s exactly what they did.
The seventh-seeded Sabres scored twice in the first nine minutes and carried a 4-3 lead into the third period, and it looked as though No. 2 seed Philly was done — until Scott Hartnell broke out of his slump to score his first goal of the series:
Hartnell’s goal forced overtime, and one of the most unforgettable finishes of the 2011 postseason:
Ville Leino scored at 4:43 of the first overtime period to keep the Flyers alive and push the series to Game 7 — which Philly would win, 5-2.
“I’ve been through some pretty wild and crazy games through my career,” Daniel Briere said following the epic Game 6. “And today was one of them, the roller-coaster ride that it was.
“My heart definitely skipped a few beats today.”
Check back daily for the latest installment of PHT’s Top 10 moments of the 2011 playoffs.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)