Apr 1, 2012, 10:19 AM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 10 — the Philadelphia Flyers staying alive in their opening playoff series against Buffalo with a comeback victory in OT.
Heading into Game 6 of their series with Buffalo down three games to two, the Flyers knew they couldn’t fall behind early.
But that’s exactly what they did.
The seventh-seeded Sabres scored twice in the first nine minutes and carried a 4-3 lead into the third period, and it looked as though No. 2 seed Philly was done — until Scott Hartnell broke out of his slump to score his first goal of the series:
Hartnell’s goal forced overtime, and one of the most unforgettable finishes of the 2011 postseason:
Ville Leino scored at 4:43 of the first overtime period to keep the Flyers alive and push the series to Game 7 — which Philly would win, 5-2.
“I’ve been through some pretty wild and crazy games through my career,” Daniel Briere said following the epic Game 6. “And today was one of them, the roller-coaster ride that it was.
“My heart definitely skipped a few beats today.”
Check back daily for the latest installment of PHT’s Top 10 moments of the 2011 playoffs.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)