Apr 4, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 7 — Nathan Horton scoring an overtime game-winner in Game 7 of the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series.
The beauty and agony of the playoffs is that the margin between victory and defeat can be paper-thin. The Bruins’ Stanley Cup run is a great testament to that as they needed three Game 7 victories (and one sweep) to win it all, but one could argue that Montreal had them on the ropes the most. So ponder all the “What ifs?” while watching Horton’s OT-winner in Game 7 of the tight first round series:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“Just getting to the playoffs is all I was really thinking about. This has been a dream come true,” Horton said. “I’m really enjoying it. I’m enjoying it more every day.”
Horton spent the first six seasons of his career with the Florida Panthers, which obviously means that this was the first playoff series of his NHL days. Up until that point, Horton hadn’t been very effective in that series – aside from another OT goal – but he would go on to score another Game 7-winner to launch the Bruins into the Stanley Cup finals. That made this Claude Julien quote quite the prediction:
“He’s been saving it for seven years, right?” Julien said. “So he had a lot of game-winning goals in him.”
Sadly, all indications are that Horton won’t have a chance to conjure more magic in this year’s playoffs because of concussion issues that began in that same magical run.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)