Apr 4, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 7 — Nathan Horton scoring an overtime game-winner in Game 7 of the Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins series.
The beauty and agony of the playoffs is that the margin between victory and defeat can be paper-thin. The Bruins’ Stanley Cup run is a great testament to that as they needed three Game 7 victories (and one sweep) to win it all, but one could argue that Montreal had them on the ropes the most. So ponder all the “What ifs?” while watching Horton’s OT-winner in Game 7 of the tight first round series:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“Just getting to the playoffs is all I was really thinking about. This has been a dream come true,” Horton said. “I’m really enjoying it. I’m enjoying it more every day.”
Horton spent the first six seasons of his career with the Florida Panthers, which obviously means that this was the first playoff series of his NHL days. Up until that point, Horton hadn’t been very effective in that series – aside from another OT goal – but he would go on to score another Game 7-winner to launch the Bruins into the Stanley Cup finals. That made this Claude Julien quote quite the prediction:
“He’s been saving it for seven years, right?” Julien said. “So he had a lot of game-winning goals in him.”
Sadly, all indications are that Horton won’t have a chance to conjure more magic in this year’s playoffs because of concussion issues that began in that same magical run.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35