Apr 5, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 6 — Alex Burrows scoring a series-winning goal for Vancouver against its hated rival, Chicago.
On the morning of Apr. 18, all was well with the Vancouver Canucks. They woke up owning a commanding 3-0 series lead in their opening-round playoff series with Chicago, with goalie Roberto Luongo allowing just five goals over three games.
But eight days later — on the morning of Tues, Apr. 26 — the Canucks were a far different bunch.
They’d blown their seemingly insurmountable series lead in spectacular fashion — losing 7-2, 5-0 and 4-3 (overtime) — and even replaced Luongo in goal with Cory Schneider after Luongo got torched in Games 4 and 5.
The Canucks headed into the decisive Game 7 looking to exorcise their playoff demons and eliminate the team that had ended each of their last two seasons.
In overtime, Alex Burrows did exactly that:
After the game, Burrows told reporters winning the way they did was perfect for the Canucks.
“I think it feels even better getting it done this way,” he said. “We didn’t make it easy on ourselves.”
No, they certainly didn’t.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)