Apr 5, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 6 — Alex Burrows scoring a series-winning goal for Vancouver against its hated rival, Chicago.
On the morning of Apr. 18, all was well with the Vancouver Canucks. They woke up owning a commanding 3-0 series lead in their opening-round playoff series with Chicago, with goalie Roberto Luongo allowing just five goals over three games.
But eight days later — on the morning of Tues, Apr. 26 — the Canucks were a far different bunch.
They’d blown their seemingly insurmountable series lead in spectacular fashion — losing 7-2, 5-0 and 4-3 (overtime) — and even replaced Luongo in goal with Cory Schneider after Luongo got torched in Games 4 and 5.
The Canucks headed into the decisive Game 7 looking to exorcise their playoff demons and eliminate the team that had ended each of their last two seasons.
In overtime, Alex Burrows did exactly that:
After the game, Burrows told reporters winning the way they did was perfect for the Canucks.
“I think it feels even better getting it done this way,” he said. “We didn’t make it easy on ourselves.”
No, they certainly didn’t.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)