Apr 8, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 3 — Boston and Tampa Bay lock horns in an incredible Eastern Conference finals Game 7 only to see Tim Thomas‘ Bruins shut out Dwayne Roloson‘s Lightning 1-0 to move on to the Stanley Cup finals in perhaps the best game of the entire playoffs.
Sometimes all it takes to decide a game is one shot. In the case of the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning, it was one goal that would decide their incredible Game 7 in the Eastern Conference finals.
Unfortunately for Tampa’s Dwayne Roloson, that goal would come off the stick of Bruins forward Nathan Horton with under eight minutes to play in the game. The Bruins were already winners of one Game 7 series in the playoffs (vs. Montreal) and with Tim Thomas in goal playing out of his mind, Horton’s tally is all they would need and it’s one Roloson and the Lightning defense would still like to have back.
One quick pass from David Krejci to a cutting Horton is all it would take to send the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup finals since the 80s and on to their first Stanley Cup championship since the 1970s.
Roloson stopped 37 of 38 shots while Thomas stopped all 24 shots he saw as he also defeated former University of Vermont teammate Martin St. Louis in what was perhaps the best game of the entire 2011 playoffs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)