Apr 8, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 3 — Boston and Tampa Bay lock horns in an incredible Eastern Conference finals Game 7 only to see Tim Thomas‘ Bruins shut out Dwayne Roloson‘s Lightning 1-0 to move on to the Stanley Cup finals in perhaps the best game of the entire playoffs.
Sometimes all it takes to decide a game is one shot. In the case of the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning, it was one goal that would decide their incredible Game 7 in the Eastern Conference finals.
Unfortunately for Tampa’s Dwayne Roloson, that goal would come off the stick of Bruins forward Nathan Horton with under eight minutes to play in the game. The Bruins were already winners of one Game 7 series in the playoffs (vs. Montreal) and with Tim Thomas in goal playing out of his mind, Horton’s tally is all they would need and it’s one Roloson and the Lightning defense would still like to have back.
One quick pass from David Krejci to a cutting Horton is all it would take to send the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup finals since the 80s and on to their first Stanley Cup championship since the 1970s.
Roloson stopped 37 of 38 shots while Thomas stopped all 24 shots he saw as he also defeated former University of Vermont teammate Martin St. Louis in what was perhaps the best game of the entire 2011 playoffs.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)