Apr 8, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 3 — Boston and Tampa Bay lock horns in an incredible Eastern Conference finals Game 7 only to see Tim Thomas‘ Bruins shut out Dwayne Roloson‘s Lightning 1-0 to move on to the Stanley Cup finals in perhaps the best game of the entire playoffs.
Sometimes all it takes to decide a game is one shot. In the case of the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning, it was one goal that would decide their incredible Game 7 in the Eastern Conference finals.
Unfortunately for Tampa’s Dwayne Roloson, that goal would come off the stick of Bruins forward Nathan Horton with under eight minutes to play in the game. The Bruins were already winners of one Game 7 series in the playoffs (vs. Montreal) and with Tim Thomas in goal playing out of his mind, Horton’s tally is all they would need and it’s one Roloson and the Lightning defense would still like to have back.
One quick pass from David Krejci to a cutting Horton is all it would take to send the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup finals since the 80s and on to their first Stanley Cup championship since the 1970s.
Roloson stopped 37 of 38 shots while Thomas stopped all 24 shots he saw as he also defeated former University of Vermont teammate Martin St. Louis in what was perhaps the best game of the entire 2011 playoffs.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 2
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1