Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 4 — San Jose’s historic comeback in Game 3 of its opening-round series with Los Angeles.
When Brad Richardson scored 44 seconds into the second period to extend L.A.’s lead to 4-0, it appeared Game 3 was done. Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was yanked, his team looked listless and it seemed the Kings had a real shot at pulling an upset on the West’ No. 2 seed.
But then things got interesting.
The Sharks went on a tear, scoring five times over the next 19 minutes to even the score at 5-5. That score would hold through the third period and overtime, until Devon Segotuchi scored the game-winner just three minutes into sudden death:
Prior to this, there had only been three four-goal comebacks in Stanley Cup playoffs history.
— In 1971, Montreal beat Boston 7-5 after trailing by four.
— In 1982, “The Miracle on Manchester” saw the L.A. Kings rally from a 5-0 deficit to stun Edmonton 6-5.
— In 1985, Minnesota beat Chicago 5-4 after trailing 4-0 and set history in the process, becoming the only team to have such a comeback and go on to lose the series.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)