Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 4 — San Jose’s historic comeback in Game 3 of its opening-round series with Los Angeles.
When Brad Richardson scored 44 seconds into the second period to extend L.A.’s lead to 4-0, it appeared Game 3 was done. Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was yanked, his team looked listless and it seemed the Kings had a real shot at pulling an upset on the West’ No. 2 seed.
But then things got interesting.
The Sharks went on a tear, scoring five times over the next 19 minutes to even the score at 5-5. That score would hold through the third period and overtime, until Devon Segotuchi scored the game-winner just three minutes into sudden death:
Prior to this, there had only been three four-goal comebacks in Stanley Cup playoffs history.
– In 1971, Montreal beat Boston 7-5 after trailing by four.
– In 1982, “The Miracle on Manchester” saw the L.A. Kings rally from a 5-0 deficit to stun Edmonton 6-5.
– In 1985, Minnesota beat Chicago 5-4 after trailing 4-0 and set history in the process, becoming the only team to have such a comeback and go on to lose the series.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)