Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 4 — San Jose’s historic comeback in Game 3 of its opening-round series with Los Angeles.
When Brad Richardson scored 44 seconds into the second period to extend L.A.’s lead to 4-0, it appeared Game 3 was done. Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was yanked, his team looked listless and it seemed the Kings had a real shot at pulling an upset on the West’ No. 2 seed.
But then things got interesting.
The Sharks went on a tear, scoring five times over the next 19 minutes to even the score at 5-5. That score would hold through the third period and overtime, until Devon Segotuchi scored the game-winner just three minutes into sudden death:
Prior to this, there had only been three four-goal comebacks in Stanley Cup playoffs history.
– In 1971, Montreal beat Boston 7-5 after trailing by four.
– In 1982, “The Miracle on Manchester” saw the L.A. Kings rally from a 5-0 deficit to stun Edmonton 6-5.
– In 1985, Minnesota beat Chicago 5-4 after trailing 4-0 and set history in the process, becoming the only team to have such a comeback and go on to lose the series.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights