Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 4 — San Jose’s historic comeback in Game 3 of its opening-round series with Los Angeles.
When Brad Richardson scored 44 seconds into the second period to extend L.A.’s lead to 4-0, it appeared Game 3 was done. Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was yanked, his team looked listless and it seemed the Kings had a real shot at pulling an upset on the West’ No. 2 seed.
But then things got interesting.
The Sharks went on a tear, scoring five times over the next 19 minutes to even the score at 5-5. That score would hold through the third period and overtime, until Devon Segotuchi scored the game-winner just three minutes into sudden death:
Prior to this, there had only been three four-goal comebacks in Stanley Cup playoffs history.
– In 1971, Montreal beat Boston 7-5 after trailing by four.
– In 1982, “The Miracle on Manchester” saw the L.A. Kings rally from a 5-0 deficit to stun Edmonton 6-5.
– In 1985, Minnesota beat Chicago 5-4 after trailing 4-0 and set history in the process, becoming the only team to have such a comeback and go on to lose the series.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 0
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)