Apr 7, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
From Apr. 1-10, ProHockeyTalk will be counting down the Top 10 moments from the 2011 postseason.
Here’s No. 4 — San Jose’s historic comeback in Game 3 of its opening-round series with Los Angeles.
When Brad Richardson scored 44 seconds into the second period to extend L.A.’s lead to 4-0, it appeared Game 3 was done. Sharks goalie Antti Niemi was yanked, his team looked listless and it seemed the Kings had a real shot at pulling an upset on the West’ No. 2 seed.
But then things got interesting.
The Sharks went on a tear, scoring five times over the next 19 minutes to even the score at 5-5. That score would hold through the third period and overtime, until Devon Segotuchi scored the game-winner just three minutes into sudden death:
Prior to this, there had only been three four-goal comebacks in Stanley Cup playoffs history.
— In 1971, Montreal beat Boston 7-5 after trailing by four.
— In 1982, “The Miracle on Manchester” saw the L.A. Kings rally from a 5-0 deficit to stun Edmonton 6-5.
— In 1985, Minnesota beat Chicago 5-4 after trailing 4-0 and set history in the process, becoming the only team to have such a comeback and go on to lose the series.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)