Kris Letang (elbow) returns vs. Jets after missing 10 games

Jan 5, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT

Kris Letang Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Penguins will get Kris Letang back in the lineup against the Winnipeg Jets this afternoon.

Letang missed 10 games with an elbow injury he needed surgery to clean up. He last played on December 13 against New Jersey.

This season, Letang has played in 24 games and scored five goals with 11 total points. He missed time earlier this season with a lower body injury that kept him out of most of October.

Getting Letang back will help out a Pens team that’s been decimated by injury. Rob Scuderi‘s return recently helped out but they’re still without Paul Martin, Evgeni Malkin, and Pascal Dupuis. Of those three, Malkin and Martin should be back soon. Martin is out with a broken leg but nearing his return date and Dupuis could be done for the season.

1. penguins87and71 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM

It will be interesting to see how Letang plays with Scuderi. What they have only played 2 or 3 games together? I have been disappointed with Letang this year I was kind of hoping that Jaques Martin would change Letang’s game, but that really hasn’t happened. I have to wonder if the Penguins would ever move him to a wing. It would be the perfect time to expirenment with Letang on Crosby’s line because Dupuis is probably out for the year.

• claudegirwho - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

No they won’t move him to wing the answer is that simple. Letang won’t want to and you don’t sign a player to a huge contract because your not sure where he fits in your organization debbiedowner

• claudegirwho - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

The reason they got scuderi is so that letang can continue playing the same game he was. They don’t want to change how he plays just make some smarter decisions which will come with time. Letang does really need to work on his shot more though.

2. hockey412 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’ve really been enjoying watching the younger Dmen play, it’ll be interesting to see what they do as everyone comes back. Despres has no business in the minors, in my opinion, and no one else can go. Might be time to consider a trade of some kind, they do need help at wing still.

3. muckleflugga - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM

possibly the most important player move this year

shero…bylsma

pure genius

4. penguins87and71 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Despres does not deserve to be in the minors. It would be a shame if he gets sent down. Letang is a defensive liability for the Penguins. I just think the Penguins would be that much stronger if he moved to wing on Crosby’s line. Letang does a good job at impersonating a forward and a terrible job at impersonating a defensemen.

• claudegirwho - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Womp womp waaa. New handle same old debbie.

5. pitpenguinsrulez - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I wonder how long it will take before a makes a stupid play

• claudegirwho - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I wonder how long it will take for you to write five negative comments? Based on your history about 5 minutes

• hazlydose - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:14 PM

First shift he was below the goal line when the pass to spring Kane’s breakaway was made.

6. penguins87and71 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I guess will just have to agree to disagree. I guess the point I am trying to make is if they don’t move him to wing I would love to see him just be a little more defense first more than offense first. I get Letang will always be a offensive defensemen. Letang is actually one of my favorite players, hopefully as he keeps on maturing he will become more defensive conscious about his game.

• claudegirwho - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM

If he’s one of your favorite players I’d hate to see how you talk about the guys you don’t like. Yet that wouldn’t be good ol debbiedowner. Maybe for once he can have a steady playing partner which I would think would make a huge difference.

7. penguins87and71 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I was just giving my 2 cents on Letang. I don’t have a problem with Letang at all. I just would like to see him be more conscious on his defensive part of his game that is all I’m asking for. I’m thrilled that his back his a great talent and I was happy that the Penguins signed him last offseason. I guess your right. That’s why the Penguins got Scuderi, so Letang can play his game. I never really thought about it like that.

8. letsgopens8771 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM

The Kris Letang Drinking game:

Every time you see him pinch way too deep in the offensive zone and get caught, take a shot.
    Every time you see him pinch AND give up an odd man break, take 2 shots.
    If all this happens and the other team scores, Take 3 shots and watch him stink up the ice surface.

While Letang possesses a ton of offensive skill, he basically is a forward with no defensive responsibility, however we cannot move him to wing or trade him. I would have loved to see him moved because I hate him and he sucks in the playoffs, but 8 years with a NTC is a death sentence. Sadly, it will be Niskanen who goes even though he has been better than Letang. If you haven’t noticed coach, the Pens play better defense without 58 in the lineup.

• dirt2013 - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Letang does not have an 8 year NTC but he has the Pens word he will not be traded this year. Now back to your rant.

9. muckleflugga - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM

hey…yeah…well…maybe…perhaps…possibly…okay

i’d take kris letang in detroit…he reminds me of brian rafalski without a razor…

more edge

caveat: basic intelligence and personality testing to see if he can make the grade of class needed to make wings

with letang coming from penguins, goof central, questions remain implcit

10. bsfan77 - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Letang=overrated. Good D-man but certainly not great. He makes to many mistakes and pinches when he shouldnt. The young kids are playing better than he usually does.

11. jaybaileys - Jan 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Yea he missed 10 games and it only took him 30 seconds into the first shift to pinch and help lead to a breakaway. Dude needs to get his head out of his ass and play like someone who wants to win a cup not the defensman scoring title.

• hockey412 - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM

The other bad side is that when he is on the ice the forwards are constantly looking to see if they need to drop back and can’t play their positions effectively. Makes you wonder if they’ve even tried to coach him, he’s not getting any better.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D