Sep 28, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Usually, the Pittsburgh Penguins suffer a wave of key injuries during the regular season, but some of their players are getting nicked up in training camp instead. The latest seems to be Kris Letang, who suffered a lower-body injury that requires further evaluation, according to the team.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that the 26-year-old star won’t skate all weekend and that it’s unclear if this will be a short-term or “extended” injury.
Letang joins Tomas Vokoun (blood clot) as significant Penguins who have experienced issues before the 2013-14 kicks off.
It’s been an up-and-down couple years for Letang, as he’s missed quite a bit of time with injuries (just 35 out of 48 regular season games in 2013 and 51 of 82 in 2011-12) and received criticism for the team’s defensive lapses. Even so, many believe he’s often a Norris Trophy-caliber defenseman whose loss would be a serious blow to Pittsburgh.
Of course, this could also just be a day-to-day issue, so we’ll have to wait and see.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)