Sep 28, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Usually, the Pittsburgh Penguins suffer a wave of key injuries during the regular season, but some of their players are getting nicked up in training camp instead. The latest seems to be Kris Letang, who suffered a lower-body injury that requires further evaluation, according to the team.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that the 26-year-old star won’t skate all weekend and that it’s unclear if this will be a short-term or “extended” injury.
Letang joins Tomas Vokoun (blood clot) as significant Penguins who have experienced issues before the 2013-14 kicks off.
It’s been an up-and-down couple years for Letang, as he’s missed quite a bit of time with injuries (just 35 out of 48 regular season games in 2013 and 51 of 82 in 2011-12) and received criticism for the team’s defensive lapses. Even so, many believe he’s often a Norris Trophy-caliber defenseman whose loss would be a serious blow to Pittsburgh.
Of course, this could also just be a day-to-day issue, so we’ll have to wait and see.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)