Nov 27, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
At this point, Pittsburgh might save time by informing us who isn’t hurt.
On Wednesday, Pens head coach Dan Bylsma announced that defenseman Paul Martin would be lost for the next 4-6 weeks with a fractured tibia, putting him on the shelf next to a staggering number of injured Pens.
Martin, 32, was in the midst of a fine campaign and looked to be right in the mix for a spot on the U.S. Olympic squad. He was averaging a career-high 25:17 TOI per game while sharing the team lead for d-man scoring (11 points, with Matt Niskanen).
News of Martin’s injury comes one day after Pittsburgh lost forward Tanner Glass to a broken hand (3-4 weeks) and two days after it lost another forward, Beau Bennett, for 8-10 weeks after wrist surgery.
So, just in case you’ve lost track:
– Bennett is out following surgery.
– Glass is out with a broken hand.
– Martin is out with a broken leg.
– Chuck Kobasew is on IR with a lower-body issue.
– Rob Scuderi is on IR with a broken ankle.
– Tomas Vokoun is on LTIR with a blood clot.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)