Dec 16, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
Defenseman Philip Samuelsson and forward Harry Zolnierczyk have been recalled from the American Hockey League to help fill those holes in the lineup. Letang was placed on injured reserve to make room for them.
With a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at home tonight, the Penguins need bodies. The Penguins were already without forwards Beau Bennett, Tanner Glass, and Andrew Ebbett. Adding Malkin to the mix of the skating wounded up front makes Zolnierczyk a necessity.
Letang missing the game Saturday meant the Pens were without their top four blue liners. Paul Martin, Rob Scuderi, and Brooks Orpik are all out with separate injuries and Brian Dumoulin had to make his NHL debut against Detroit. The team
If Samuelsson plays, it’ll be his first game in the league. He was a second-round pick of the Penguins back in 2009. Yes, he is the son of former NHL defenseman Ulf Samuelsson. It’s probably a good thing they’re not facing the Bruins considering Ulf’s history against them.
UPDATE: Letang will be out until after Christmas, according to head coach Dan Bylsma. Same goes for Scuderi (broken ankle). Glass will be back in 3-5 days.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)