Dec 16, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
Defenseman Philip Samuelsson and forward Harry Zolnierczyk have been recalled from the American Hockey League to help fill those holes in the lineup. Letang was placed on injured reserve to make room for them.
With a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at home tonight, the Penguins need bodies. The Penguins were already without forwards Beau Bennett, Tanner Glass, and Andrew Ebbett. Adding Malkin to the mix of the skating wounded up front makes Zolnierczyk a necessity.
Letang missing the game Saturday meant the Pens were without their top four blue liners. Paul Martin, Rob Scuderi, and Brooks Orpik are all out with separate injuries and Brian Dumoulin had to make his NHL debut against Detroit. The team
If Samuelsson plays, it’ll be his first game in the league. He was a second-round pick of the Penguins back in 2009. Yes, he is the son of former NHL defenseman Ulf Samuelsson. It’s probably a good thing they’re not facing the Bruins considering Ulf’s history against them.
UPDATE: Letang will be out until after Christmas, according to head coach Dan Bylsma. Same goes for Scuderi (broken ankle). Glass will be back in 3-5 days.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40