Dec 14, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins defense corps already looked shorthanded coming into Saturday’s game versus the Detroit Red Wings. Now they’ll be without Kris Letang, too, as he’s missing tonight’s contest with an undisclosed injury.
The Penguins announced that head coach Dan Bylsma will share more about Letang’s situation after the game. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe believes that it isn’t serious, though.
Pittsburgh has already been struggling with injuries on its blueline, as Brooks Orpik has missed two games with a concussion, Rob Scuderi‘s missed 22 with a broken ankle and Paul Martin has been sidelined for eight with a broken tibia.
Letang, 26, has missed nine games of his own with a lower-body injury. Obviously, it’s unclear if this is the same issue or something new.
After accomplishing the rare feat of scoring more than a point-per-game (38 in 35) last season, Letang has been struggling – relatively speaking, of course – with 11 points in 24 games this season. He’s still a significant piece for Pittsburgh, though.
The Penguins hope to win their third game in a row. They’ll face a Red Wings team that won’t feel much sympathy for their injury woes tonight.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (109)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)