Dec 14, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins defense corps already looked shorthanded coming into Saturday’s game versus the Detroit Red Wings. Now they’ll be without Kris Letang, too, as he’s missing tonight’s contest with an undisclosed injury.
The Penguins announced that head coach Dan Bylsma will share more about Letang’s situation after the game. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe believes that it isn’t serious, though.
Pittsburgh has already been struggling with injuries on its blueline, as Brooks Orpik has missed two games with a concussion, Rob Scuderi‘s missed 22 with a broken ankle and Paul Martin has been sidelined for eight with a broken tibia.
Letang, 26, has missed nine games of his own with a lower-body injury. Obviously, it’s unclear if this is the same issue or something new.
After accomplishing the rare feat of scoring more than a point-per-game (38 in 35) last season, Letang has been struggling – relatively speaking, of course – with 11 points in 24 games this season. He’s still a significant piece for Pittsburgh, though.
The Penguins hope to win their third game in a row. They’ll face a Red Wings team that won’t feel much sympathy for their injury woes tonight.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)