Dec 14, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
A Saturday night with highs (including his 600th career point) and lows likely ended a few minutes into the third period for Evgeni Malkin, as he needed some help getting off the ice after an awkward tumble into the boards.
The Pittsburgh Penguins star fell backward into the boards. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as his teammates helped him off the ice.
The 27-year-old seemed to dodge a bullet earlier in this game against the Detroit Red Wings, as he slowly made his way to the locker room after seemingly hitting his head on the ice. A Penguins teammate hit a Red Wings player, who then collided with Malkin on that play.
Again, it was a night of highs and lows, though; Malkin factored into three goals as he found the net once and collected two assists.
He now has 601 points in 490 career regular season games. Hopefully it won’t be too long until he appears in No. 491.
Update: The Penguins did get the win, so there’s that. They beat Detroit 4-1 tonight.
More Penguins news from a busy Saturday for Pittsburgh:
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)