Dec 14, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
A Saturday night with highs (including his 600th career point) and lows likely ended a few minutes into the third period for Evgeni Malkin, as he needed some help getting off the ice after an awkward tumble into the boards.
The Pittsburgh Penguins star fell backward into the boards. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as his teammates helped him off the ice.
The 27-year-old seemed to dodge a bullet earlier in this game against the Detroit Red Wings, as he slowly made his way to the locker room after seemingly hitting his head on the ice. A Penguins teammate hit a Red Wings player, who then collided with Malkin on that play.
Again, it was a night of highs and lows, though; Malkin factored into three goals as he found the net once and collected two assists.
He now has 601 points in 490 career regular season games. Hopefully it won’t be too long until he appears in No. 491.
Update: The Penguins did get the win, so there’s that. They beat Detroit 4-1 tonight.
More Penguins news from a busy Saturday for Pittsburgh:
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)