Dec 14, 2013, 9:06 PM EST
A Saturday night with highs (including his 600th career point) and lows likely ended a few minutes into the third period for Evgeni Malkin, as he needed some help getting off the ice after an awkward tumble into the boards.
The Pittsburgh Penguins star fell backward into the boards. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as his teammates helped him off the ice.
The 27-year-old seemed to dodge a bullet earlier in this game against the Detroit Red Wings, as he slowly made his way to the locker room after seemingly hitting his head on the ice. A Penguins teammate hit a Red Wings player, who then collided with Malkin on that play.
Again, it was a night of highs and lows, though; Malkin factored into three goals as he found the net once and collected two assists.
He now has 601 points in 490 career regular season games. Hopefully it won’t be too long until he appears in No. 491.
Update: The Penguins did get the win, so there’s that. They beat Detroit 4-1 tonight.
More Penguins news from a busy Saturday for Pittsburgh:
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)