Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are probably used to getting a mixture of good and bad injury news, and Sunday was no different. While they’re welcoming Rob Scuderi back, they also placed Evgeni Malkin on the IR retroactive to Dec. 14.
Scuderi, 34, missed the last 29 games with an ankle injury. Malkin, 27, is struggling with a knee/lower-body injury.
To the Penguins’ credit, they continue to roll with injury punches. They’ve won five of the six games they’ve played since Malkin has been on the shelf. They hope to improve their 28-11-1 record against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday.
The Penguins’ battered defense seems to have an improved outlook overall, as this optimistic Kris Letang update can attest:
Letang skating without apparatus on his arm. Has full range of motion, per coach Bylsma #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 29, 2013
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)