Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are probably used to getting a mixture of good and bad injury news, and Sunday was no different. While they’re welcoming Rob Scuderi back, they also placed Evgeni Malkin on the IR retroactive to Dec. 14.
Scuderi, 34, missed the last 29 games with an ankle injury. Malkin, 27, is struggling with a knee/lower-body injury.
To the Penguins’ credit, they continue to roll with injury punches. They’ve won five of the six games they’ve played since Malkin has been on the shelf. They hope to improve their 28-11-1 record against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday.
The Penguins’ battered defense seems to have an improved outlook overall, as this optimistic Kris Letang update can attest:
Letang skating without apparatus on his arm. Has full range of motion, per coach Bylsma #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 29, 2013
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)