Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are probably used to getting a mixture of good and bad injury news, and Sunday was no different. While they’re welcoming Rob Scuderi back, they also placed Evgeni Malkin on the IR retroactive to Dec. 14.
Scuderi, 34, missed the last 29 games with an ankle injury. Malkin, 27, is struggling with a knee/lower-body injury.
To the Penguins’ credit, they continue to roll with injury punches. They’ve won five of the six games they’ve played since Malkin has been on the shelf. They hope to improve their 28-11-1 record against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday.
The Penguins’ battered defense seems to have an improved outlook overall, as this optimistic Kris Letang update can attest:
Letang skating without apparatus on his arm. Has full range of motion, per coach Bylsma #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 29, 2013
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25