Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are probably used to getting a mixture of good and bad injury news, and Sunday was no different. While they’re welcoming Rob Scuderi back, they also placed Evgeni Malkin on the IR retroactive to Dec. 14.
Scuderi, 34, missed the last 29 games with an ankle injury. Malkin, 27, is struggling with a knee/lower-body injury.
To the Penguins’ credit, they continue to roll with injury punches. They’ve won five of the six games they’ve played since Malkin has been on the shelf. They hope to improve their 28-11-1 record against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday.
The Penguins’ battered defense seems to have an improved outlook overall, as this optimistic Kris Letang update can attest:
Letang skating without apparatus on his arm. Has full range of motion, per coach Bylsma #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 29, 2013
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)