Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are probably used to getting a mixture of good and bad injury news, and Sunday was no different. While they’re welcoming Rob Scuderi back, they also placed Evgeni Malkin on the IR retroactive to Dec. 14.
Scuderi, 34, missed the last 29 games with an ankle injury. Malkin, 27, is struggling with a knee/lower-body injury.
To the Penguins’ credit, they continue to roll with injury punches. They’ve won five of the six games they’ve played since Malkin has been on the shelf. They hope to improve their 28-11-1 record against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday.
The Penguins’ battered defense seems to have an improved outlook overall, as this optimistic Kris Letang update can attest:
Letang skating without apparatus on his arm. Has full range of motion, per coach Bylsma #Pens
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) December 29, 2013
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54