Aug 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Brooks follows an argument about the New York Rangers’ depth needs with some unexpected statements about Doan’s intentions.
That’s why the Rangers remain keenly interested in signing free agent winger Shane Doan, who will turn 36 in early October and is seeking a four-year deal as he confronts the separation issues that will accompany his departure from Phoenix, his home for the last 16 years.
Doan, who understandably wants this to be the last move he makes, is believed to have narrowed his sights on Manhattan, Pittsburgh and Vancouver. It’s unclear if Rangers general manager Glen Sather is willing to go four years, but if he does, Doan is more likely than not to become a Blueshirt.
Considering all that Doan has said about sticking with Phoenix – and the many admissions from suitors that his first choice is the Coyotes – Brooks’ claim is surprising.
(The most interesting phrase is “will accompany his departure …”)
Perhaps the real takeaway is that the Rangers, Penguins and Canucks represent Doan’s “Plan B” if he does “depart” from Phoenix as Brooks predicts.
Then again, one might counter that Doan’s private interest to stay with the Coyotes doesn’t match his public claims. The amount of time he’s given his first and only franchise strengthens his statements, though.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 17
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)