Aug 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Brooks follows an argument about the New York Rangers’ depth needs with some unexpected statements about Doan’s intentions.
That’s why the Rangers remain keenly interested in signing free agent winger Shane Doan, who will turn 36 in early October and is seeking a four-year deal as he confronts the separation issues that will accompany his departure from Phoenix, his home for the last 16 years.
Doan, who understandably wants this to be the last move he makes, is believed to have narrowed his sights on Manhattan, Pittsburgh and Vancouver. It’s unclear if Rangers general manager Glen Sather is willing to go four years, but if he does, Doan is more likely than not to become a Blueshirt.
Considering all that Doan has said about sticking with Phoenix – and the many admissions from suitors that his first choice is the Coyotes – Brooks’ claim is surprising.
(The most interesting phrase is “will accompany his departure …”)
Perhaps the real takeaway is that the Rangers, Penguins and Canucks represent Doan’s “Plan B” if he does “depart” from Phoenix as Brooks predicts.
Then again, one might counter that Doan’s private interest to stay with the Coyotes doesn’t match his public claims. The amount of time he’s given his first and only franchise strengthens his statements, though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)