Aug 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Brooks follows an argument about the New York Rangers’ depth needs with some unexpected statements about Doan’s intentions.
That’s why the Rangers remain keenly interested in signing free agent winger Shane Doan, who will turn 36 in early October and is seeking a four-year deal as he confronts the separation issues that will accompany his departure from Phoenix, his home for the last 16 years.
Doan, who understandably wants this to be the last move he makes, is believed to have narrowed his sights on Manhattan, Pittsburgh and Vancouver. It’s unclear if Rangers general manager Glen Sather is willing to go four years, but if he does, Doan is more likely than not to become a Blueshirt.
Considering all that Doan has said about sticking with Phoenix – and the many admissions from suitors that his first choice is the Coyotes – Brooks’ claim is surprising.
(The most interesting phrase is “will accompany his departure …”)
Perhaps the real takeaway is that the Rangers, Penguins and Canucks represent Doan’s “Plan B” if he does “depart” from Phoenix as Brooks predicts.
Then again, one might counter that Doan’s private interest to stay with the Coyotes doesn’t match his public claims. The amount of time he’s given his first and only franchise strengthens his statements, though.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)