Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Shoalts’ source claims Doan is looking for $30 million over four years — $7.5 million annually — should he not re-sign with Phoenix.
The same source also predicted a team would “cough up a four-year deal in the $7-m range” for the 35-year-old, a significant price considering Doan’s last deal was a five-year contract that paid $4.55 million annually.
It’s obvious Doan’s summer-long tease has played a part in this asking price. A number of interested suitors emerged throughout the offseason, with one mystery Eastern Conference team reportedly offering a four-year, $30 million deal back in mid-July, even though Doan (at the time) had stated a preference to stay out West.
Since then, reports have claimed that Pittsburgh’s made an offer and that Doan’s visited with both the Rangers and Flyers (see here and here.) The Canucks are still rumored to be interested and, of course, there’s still the possibility of Doan sticking with the Coyotes.
That part of the drama will unfold further on Friday,when Doan meets with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison about the future of the club.
Thus explaining his significant monetary demands.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)