Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
Shoalts’ source claims Doan is looking for $30 million over four years — $7.5 million annually — should he not re-sign with Phoenix.
The same source also predicted a team would “cough up a four-year deal in the $7-m range” for the 35-year-old, a significant price considering Doan’s last deal was a five-year contract that paid $4.55 million annually.
It’s obvious Doan’s summer-long tease has played a part in this asking price. A number of interested suitors emerged throughout the offseason, with one mystery Eastern Conference team reportedly offering a four-year, $30 million deal back in mid-July, even though Doan (at the time) had stated a preference to stay out West.
Since then, reports have claimed that Pittsburgh’s made an offer and that Doan’s visited with both the Rangers and Flyers (see here and here.) The Canucks are still rumored to be interested and, of course, there’s still the possibility of Doan sticking with the Coyotes.
That part of the drama will unfold further on Friday,when Doan meets with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison about the future of the club.
Thus explaining his significant monetary demands.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)