Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
Shoalts’ source claims Doan is looking for $30 million over four years — $7.5 million annually — should he not re-sign with Phoenix.
The same source also predicted a team would “cough up a four-year deal in the $7-m range” for the 35-year-old, a significant price considering Doan’s last deal was a five-year contract that paid $4.55 million annually.
It’s obvious Doan’s summer-long tease has played a part in this asking price. A number of interested suitors emerged throughout the offseason, with one mystery Eastern Conference team reportedly offering a four-year, $30 million deal back in mid-July, even though Doan (at the time) had stated a preference to stay out West.
Since then, reports have claimed that Pittsburgh’s made an offer and that Doan’s visited with both the Rangers and Flyers (see here and here.) The Canucks are still rumored to be interested and, of course, there’s still the possibility of Doan sticking with the Coyotes.
That part of the drama will unfold further on Friday,when Doan meets with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison about the future of the club.
Thus explaining his significant monetary demands.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)