Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Shoalts’ source claims Doan is looking for $30 million over four years — $7.5 million annually — should he not re-sign with Phoenix.
The same source also predicted a team would “cough up a four-year deal in the $7-m range” for the 35-year-old, a significant price considering Doan’s last deal was a five-year contract that paid $4.55 million annually.
It’s obvious Doan’s summer-long tease has played a part in this asking price. A number of interested suitors emerged throughout the offseason, with one mystery Eastern Conference team reportedly offering a four-year, $30 million deal back in mid-July, even though Doan (at the time) had stated a preference to stay out West.
Since then, reports have claimed that Pittsburgh’s made an offer and that Doan’s visited with both the Rangers and Flyers (see here and here.) The Canucks are still rumored to be interested and, of course, there’s still the possibility of Doan sticking with the Coyotes.
That part of the drama will unfold further on Friday,when Doan meets with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison about the future of the club.
Thus explaining his significant monetary demands.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)