Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
Shoalts’ source claims Doan is looking for $30 million over four years — $7.5 million annually — should he not re-sign with Phoenix.
The same source also predicted a team would “cough up a four-year deal in the $7-m range” for the 35-year-old, a significant price considering Doan’s last deal was a five-year contract that paid $4.55 million annually.
It’s obvious Doan’s summer-long tease has played a part in this asking price. A number of interested suitors emerged throughout the offseason, with one mystery Eastern Conference team reportedly offering a four-year, $30 million deal back in mid-July, even though Doan (at the time) had stated a preference to stay out West.
Since then, reports have claimed that Pittsburgh’s made an offer and that Doan’s visited with both the Rangers and Flyers (see here and here.) The Canucks are still rumored to be interested and, of course, there’s still the possibility of Doan sticking with the Coyotes.
That part of the drama will unfold further on Friday,when Doan meets with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison about the future of the club.
Thus explaining his significant monetary demands.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)