Aug 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Doan wants to play with the Phoenix Coyotes. However, it looks like he needs to feel comfortable with the team’s ownership situation first, so there’s still a chance that he could end up going elsewhere.
It now looks like he would also have to compromise if he wants to play for the San Jose Sharks. Citing an NHL source, CSN California recently reported that San Jose isn’t prepared to offer him more than three years with an annual salary in the ballpark of $4.5 million.
That seems like a reasonable price for Doan and it makes sense given that, according to Cap Geek, the Sharks only have about $5.5 million worth of cap space. However, given that Doan is by far the best unrestricted free agent left on the market and there are plenty of teams with a ton of cap space, he might still end up getting a $30 million deal.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)