Aug 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Doan wants to play with the Phoenix Coyotes. However, it looks like he needs to feel comfortable with the team’s ownership situation first, so there’s still a chance that he could end up going elsewhere.
It now looks like he would also have to compromise if he wants to play for the San Jose Sharks. Citing an NHL source, CSN California recently reported that San Jose isn’t prepared to offer him more than three years with an annual salary in the ballpark of $4.5 million.
That seems like a reasonable price for Doan and it makes sense given that, according to Cap Geek, the Sharks only have about $5.5 million worth of cap space. However, given that Doan is by far the best unrestricted free agent left on the market and there are plenty of teams with a ton of cap space, he might still end up getting a $30 million deal.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)