Aug 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Doan wants to play with the Phoenix Coyotes. However, it looks like he needs to feel comfortable with the team’s ownership situation first, so there’s still a chance that he could end up going elsewhere.
It now looks like he would also have to compromise if he wants to play for the San Jose Sharks. Citing an NHL source, CSN California recently reported that San Jose isn’t prepared to offer him more than three years with an annual salary in the ballpark of $4.5 million.
That seems like a reasonable price for Doan and it makes sense given that, according to Cap Geek, the Sharks only have about $5.5 million worth of cap space. However, given that Doan is by far the best unrestricted free agent left on the market and there are plenty of teams with a ton of cap space, he might still end up getting a $30 million deal.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)