Aug 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EST
As we previously reported, Doan wants to play with the Phoenix Coyotes. However, it looks like he needs to feel comfortable with the team’s ownership situation first, so there’s still a chance that he could end up going elsewhere.
It now looks like he would also have to compromise if he wants to play for the San Jose Sharks. Citing an NHL source, CSN California recently reported that San Jose isn’t prepared to offer him more than three years with an annual salary in the ballpark of $4.5 million.
That seems like a reasonable price for Doan and it makes sense given that, according to Cap Geek, the Sharks only have about $5.5 million worth of cap space. However, given that Doan is by far the best unrestricted free agent left on the market and there are plenty of teams with a ton of cap space, he might still end up getting a $30 million deal.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)