Aug 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Doan wants to play with the Phoenix Coyotes. However, it looks like he needs to feel comfortable with the team’s ownership situation first, so there’s still a chance that he could end up going elsewhere.
It now looks like he would also have to compromise if he wants to play for the San Jose Sharks. Citing an NHL source, CSN California recently reported that San Jose isn’t prepared to offer him more than three years with an annual salary in the ballpark of $4.5 million.
That seems like a reasonable price for Doan and it makes sense given that, according to Cap Geek, the Sharks only have about $5.5 million worth of cap space. However, given that Doan is by far the best unrestricted free agent left on the market and there are plenty of teams with a ton of cap space, he might still end up getting a $30 million deal.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21