Jul 26, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
(Perhaps those reports about an Eastern Conference team offering him a four-year deal in excess of $30 million might be accurate – or close enough – then?)
The Red Wings’ initial interest in Doan makes sense. With all apologies to Todd Bertuzzi, the team lacks a top forward who ranks as a true “power forward” in the Brendan Shanahan mold.
Adding someone like Doan might ease some of the pain of Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement and striking out on Ryan Suter, even if the Phoenix Coyotes captain wouldn’t fill that void on the blueline.
Still, in a shallow pool of free agents, the price for an aging – but valued – player like Doan might go sky-high. If Ward’s report is correct, it’s too rich for the Red Wings’ taste.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)