Jun 27, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Matt Carle (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.44 million
Perception regarding Matt Carle could very well range rapidly if he hits unrestricted free agency. Many view him as a turnover-prone defenseman with solid offensive ability who benefited greatly from Chris Pronger‘s presence. Others go as far as to compare him to Ryan Suter (seriously).
The truth is probably somewhere in between, but either way, it would be surprising if the Philadelphia Flyers don’t end up re-signing him. To the surprise of some, GM Paul Holmgren said that bringing Carle back is a higher priority than gaining another year of Jaromir Jagr‘s services. Nothing new seems to contradict that earlier report, either.
Still, there should be a solid market for Carle if Philly balks at his asking price. And considering what Dennis Wideman got from the Calgary Flames, that asking price might’ve just gone up.
More UFA spotlights
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39