Jun 27, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Matt Carle (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.44 million
Perception regarding Matt Carle could very well range rapidly if he hits unrestricted free agency. Many view him as a turnover-prone defenseman with solid offensive ability who benefited greatly from Chris Pronger‘s presence. Others go as far as to compare him to Ryan Suter (seriously).
The truth is probably somewhere in between, but either way, it would be surprising if the Philadelphia Flyers don’t end up re-signing him. To the surprise of some, GM Paul Holmgren said that bringing Carle back is a higher priority than gaining another year of Jaromir Jagr‘s services. Nothing new seems to contradict that earlier report, either.
Still, there should be a solid market for Carle if Philly balks at his asking price. And considering what Dennis Wideman got from the Calgary Flames, that asking price might’ve just gone up.
More UFA spotlights
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 7
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31