Jun 27, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Matt Carle (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.44 million
Perception regarding Matt Carle could very well range rapidly if he hits unrestricted free agency. Many view him as a turnover-prone defenseman with solid offensive ability who benefited greatly from Chris Pronger‘s presence. Others go as far as to compare him to Ryan Suter (seriously).
The truth is probably somewhere in between, but either way, it would be surprising if the Philadelphia Flyers don’t end up re-signing him. To the surprise of some, GM Paul Holmgren said that bringing Carle back is a higher priority than gaining another year of Jaromir Jagr‘s services. Nothing new seems to contradict that earlier report, either.
Still, there should be a solid market for Carle if Philly balks at his asking price. And considering what Dennis Wideman got from the Calgary Flames, that asking price might’ve just gone up.
More UFA spotlights
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 26
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (27)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)