Wild defeat Blackhawks in Game 4, tie series 2-2

May 10, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT

Home ice has been the advantage in this second round Western Conference series between the Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild.

After the Blackhawks took the first two games back in Chicago, the Wild erupted for a pair of wins in Minnesota. What was once a best-of-seven series is now just a best-of-three, as it shifts back to Chicago for Game 5 on Sunday.

The Wild once again held the high-octane offensive players of the Blackhawks in check for the most part, keeping Chicago to just 21 shots on goal in a 4-2 victory in Game 4 on Friday. The series is now tied up 2-2.

Ilya Bryzgalov was front and center for Minnesota in the win. Yes, he had one of his moments when he gave up a soft goal to Patrick Sharp in the opening period. The Blackhawks’ forward beat the Wild goalie through the legs with a wrist shot from near the bottom of the faceoff circle, getting Chicago onto the board.

But he was brilliant after that.

His biggest save came off Sharp in the second period. Bryzgalov kicked out the right pad on Sharp’s breakaway chance, maintaining his team’s one-goal lead at the time.

Jared Spurgeon, with his second goal of the evening, gave the Wild a two-goal lead early in the third period.

Chicago had its chances, but it could be argued the defending Stanley Cup champs didn’t test Bryzgalov enough. Friday’s game was the fourth of this series in which the Blackhawks were held to less than 25 shots on goal.

There was a scary moment in the second period, when Chicago forward Brandon Bollig ran Minnesota defenseman Keith Ballard from behind into the end glass.

Bollig was assessed a minor penalty for boarding. As per Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, there was no update on Ballard following the game.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM

as a White Sox fan, I enjoy this clip as much as anyone else. Though if your goal was to troll Chicago fans on this board you probably got at least 75%, we Sox fans are few and far between.

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM

All in good fun.

Just to show that I’m a nice guy:

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM

here’s where you are going to be really tripped out…I am a Utah Jazz fan, and still am pissed that Jordan pushed off on Bryon Russell in game 6. Offensive foul!

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Okay, enlighten me. How does a Blackhawks and White Sox fan root against the Jordan era Bulls?

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I’m actually not from Illinois. The first baseball team I played for in peewees was the White Sox, my first peewee hockey team was the Hawks, (not Blackhawks) but I decided they would be my team since the names were close. Which actually was ok since this was the Hawks from the early to mid-90s with JR, Eddie the Eagle, Chelios. And you guessed it R8r is for the Oakland Raiders, I saw them in the LA Coliseum back in 1990 when I was 7 and got hooked. We did the ‘ole tour or SoCal seeing Disneyland, SeaWorld, but all I remember was the Raider game.

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Going forward, I have a feeling I will be getting a lot more thumbs down since I mentioned the Raiders are my favorite NFL team, LOL

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I’ve never been a big NBA fan and haven’t watched the NBA since the Grizzlies left, but I used to watch every Bulls game in the NBA Finals in the late 90’s. Such was the entertainment value of #23.

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Alright. In that case:

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM

CHUCKY! I literally jumped for joy when I heard Skeletor err, I mean Al Davis passed on. Not that the team has improved yet, but they have a fighting chance now that he is not pulling the strings.

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

isn’t this a hockey site ?

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:40 AM

speaking of which, did you catch that future super bowl champions Teddy Bridgewater and Cordarrelle Patterson were in attendance?

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I’m guessing you mean after they leave in free agency. Like that could ever happen while the cluedaddy Zygmunch owns the team and that ChuckleF**k Spielman is throwing the levers and turning the dials :)

• getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM

clarke stick to hockey you know just enough not to embarrass yourself when you talk puck

• slickvb82 - May 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM

what you smokin’ clarke16

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM

LOL. I’ll Ponder going easy on you poor persecuted queens fans… ;)

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Vikings should have drafted Johnny Football.

Fran Tarkenton v 2.0

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:03 AM

LOL. I agree. It would have been great to see the queens draft Johnny Football. He’s the biggest jabroni to show up since avscup carried the stick bag and water bottles out for the boys at braemar 20 years ago… :)

• canucks30 - May 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM

2. clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Day-yam! Two games in a row that the Hawks took the night off, eh?

3. getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I’m just glad the Hawks took another night off, and decided to give us another game. Hoping the decide to do it 2 more times.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM

We are left but to pray–that they’ll find it within their hearts…

• guitarisgood4u - May 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Shouldn’t be necessary with the Wild playing so well, eh?

4. fightingwild - May 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Chicago in 5!!! Oh wait… aw crap.. I mean Chicago in 6!!! Sorry folks but this is going 7. The Wild may not win but they are going to make it tough!!!

• purpleguy - May 10, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Well, now we have a series. It will be tough to win in Chicago. The Wild have shown they can not only match defensive play and the forecheck, but also that they too have speed and skill — something which no one ever seems to acknowledge. They may not win the series, but sure as hell have made it close enough for the Hawks to get nervous. Well, that and make the guys who picked the Hawks in 5 to eat some crow.

5. comeonnowguys - May 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Wouldn’t want to be Q’s cardiologist.

Couldn’t have picked a worse time for the team to insert head up but. Not a single D man played well. In fact the only line that did anything was that weird 10-26-81 line.

I was completely wrong. Hawks won’t win in 5. They will win in 6 apparently.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Smug is in the air

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Yeah–once again it had nothing to do with the stellar play the Wild exhibited in their own end–it’s all about…wait for it… The Hawks taking the night off…

You slapd!cks humor me… Can I send you some money? :)

• comeonnowguys - May 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

No. Seriously. Show me where I said it had nothing to do with the Wild.

I’m waiting.

Still waiting.

Oh right. I didn’t say that. Imagine that.

The Wild didn’t palm the puck or airmail it over the glass. The Wild certainly didn’t play sloppy and careless.

But hey, everything has to be all or nothing.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Wild in 6, apparently.

• comeonnowguys - May 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Good luck with that

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM

dank you

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I’m gonna send you a snow globe for Christmas. It’ll be your favorite shape–OBTUSE… I’ll send it to your work. I hope that isn’t one of the nights you decide to just *take off* :)

• comeonnowguys - May 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Whomever bought you that 10th Grader Word Of The Day calendar is obviously lacking a flaming bag of dung on their front porch.

By the way you took the wrong angle on that slow globe joke.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM

…of course it would seem that way to the King Fisher of the Obtusian Sea… LOL

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

there is always hope …..i guess !

6. c9castine - May 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

like i said in like, 2013. anybody who thinks ilya bryzgalov isnt a starting goaltender in this league is high.

you know who you are. i dont, but a lot of people lambasted me for disagreeing with the flyers decision to buy him out and an NHL team to even sign him again. maybe joey4id can look that up for me.

• getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

IMO Consistency, technical flaws, and bad save selection are reasons why he isn’t and I would guess no team will sign him as one for next season. With that said he made some big saves tonight and when he is confident he shows enough to tease fans into thinking he can be a starting type goalie. He is not fundamentally sound enough where I’d want him in my starting goalie, but I hope he has a couple more big games in hime……….or maybe 8!

• c9castine - May 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM

bad save selection? as in he tries to make the save the wrong way? not comparing but they said that about hasek too.

youll have to clear up technical flaws for me a bit vague there allaire.

respect the opinion maybe i wasnt precise enough. a lot of people didnt think he should be in the league at all.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:27 AM

If he keeps playing strong–he’ll play himself right into a 2 year deal with the Wild this off-season. Kuemper will be penciled in…but we’ve seen how valuable a legit back-up can be. My hat goes off to Fletcher for making this score at the deadline. The Wild would have been long-since chasing the little white balls without him…

• slickvb82 - May 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM

his 5 hole was the size of TX tonight, other than that, dude was on his game. but lets give some credit to the boys on front of him, 20 shots tonight? Against the almighty Hawks!!!

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 1:49 AM

slickvb…. but 20 shots is so boring! Please do not applaude them for that. A good game requires 30+ shots and goaltenders that stand on their heads. That is all. Anything less is just boring

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Hey! they removed my /sarcasm tag because I actually put it in brackets! haha… but seriously, not seriously.

• getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM

c9 – Hasek is really the only goalie in the modern era who got away with poor save selection, and there is no comparison between Bryz and Hasek, none.

When I say technical flaws, I’m referring to flaws in his technique, or the way he sets up to save shots. There are more than a few, but I’ll point out the two most glaring ones I see. When he moves laterally he never resets his stick, or better yet doesn’t move with his stick in the proper position exposing his 5 hole and high blocker side. The other one and it’s multifaceted is he commits to the ground too early on most shots, some goalies who are bigger or are better about being out on their angles can get away with it, he plays to often with the toes of his skates in the paint to be effective committing to the ground to early, which in turn not only leaves the high corners open, but it exposes the low comers as well. That leads to him having to move his leg pads at the lower shots which places the rebounds right at the hash marks (see games 2 & 3 he did that on about 50% of the saves). Those second chances at the hash marks really makes life tough his D.

I will say after watching games 1 & 2 in both series I didn’t think he could win two games in the playoffs let alone back to back. When Bryz is confident he can make some saves he shouldn’t. The break away save on Sharp was the turning point last night, that save you could tell gave the whole team a shot of confidence.

c9 while I’m not sure he lands a starting gig, in the right situation he is a better than average back-up, and I do think there is a place for him in the league.

• guitarhunterdude - May 10, 2014 at 2:23 AM

I can understand the buyout. He certainly wasn’t worth that huge contract, especially not for that long. But he’s about an average starter who I wouldn’t mind seeing on a cheap contract in a timeshare with Kuemper next year, health permitting.

• flyerspsu - May 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM

whether you think hes an NHL starting goalie or not HE HAD TO BE BOUGHT OUT, there is really no debate on that, there was no way the Flyers were gonna be stuck with taking him up 6 mil of cap space for the next 7 years, now they got a better, younger, cheaper goalie w/o a long term commitment

• c9castine - May 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM

ok ok. your right. ill back down from my statement a bit.

bryzgalov should be a solid starter for the right team and price. at the very least, this is a respectable NHL goaltender.

7. strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Great game, this series is going to 7 most likely

• lordfletcher - May 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Had some great chicago fans in front of me tonight at the X. Their flight was delayed this afternoon so they drove and barely made it. Hats off to them, great guys and fans. Love that they admitted the United Center gets loud but not like it was last night at the X and they prefer the intimate feel the X gives its fans.

Great game again and very proud of the Wild fans. Again I am leaving Saint Paul with hearing damage and blown voice. I sound like a monster

Go Wild

PS feeling for Marty after the loss of his mother …. Heavy heart no doubt

8. clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Game pucks go to Cookie and Bryz. Outstanding!

9. r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Damn. The wild stuck to their game plan and it worked again. Did the Hawks even register 20 shots? Three softies let in by Crow is the difference tonight though. Spurgeon’s goal was legit, the others, not so much. Not many positives to take from this game for Chicago, except they are returning to the UC.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM

the difference was the hawks getting outworked

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM

The Wild played better, not taking that away from them, but Crow does not typically let those first 3 goals in, that is, since his piss-poor play against Phx a few years back

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I do agree r8hawk. Bryz had a really sloppy one himself on the first one.

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM

yeah, that was definitely a softie, notice how quickly PHT had a post about that goal too? We would have seen a similar post if Flower let that goal in. At least they made up for it by having an article on that beauty save on Sharpie’s breakaway

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Bottom line: They were outcoached, outskated and out-executed in every facet of the game…

The Hawks just lost the psychological edge on this series.

• comeonnowguys - May 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Lol ok. You are starting to sound like blues fans last round. And Bruin and Red Wing fans last year.

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Wow, and you STILL sound like a blackhawks fan…

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Exactly mp… You see–these are the mighty blackhawks. They can afford to just take multiple *nights off* because hey–they can just decide whenever they want to show up at the office with the briefcase and kick your ass around the block before their first cup of coffee gets cold…

Love the arrogance. It’s the first indication that a crash is coming… ;)

10. strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Gotta love Cooke out there

• slickvb82 - May 10, 2014 at 1:36 AM

so great

11. blomfeld - May 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM

TAKE ‘THAT’ OPRAH !!!

GO WILD GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

you might not be getting the rematch you were hoping for if the Wild keep it up…

• credible316 - May 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I can’t tell if your being sarcastic, but I’ll take it.

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM

well , look you snuck back out from the BATCAVE !

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

the SHAME is gone ( for now ) huh BLOMS ? if the DUCKS come back can we expect you to go back in HIDING again ?

12. dlhouse18 - May 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Thought the Wild didn’t have a chance??

Chicago vs. Minnesota
    Halford: ‘Hawks in 6
    Brough: ‘Hawks in 5
    Yerdon: ‘Hawks in 5
    O’Brien: ‘Hawks in 5
    Dadoun: ‘Hawks in 5
    Tucker: ‘Hawks in 6

That’s 5/7 of you wrong and soon to be all.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

haters gonna hate, heaters gonna heat

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 12:44 AM

haha! Nice!

• guitarisgood4u - May 10, 2014 at 1:19 AM

It’s a damn shame I can only give that one thumb up

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Heater is a +7 in the playoffs… dude wants another year on the roster!!

• getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

thanks for tracking!

• dlhouse18 - May 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM

No way will the Wild beat the Avalanche! The Avs are far too talented!
      *Wild proceed to outplay the Avs in 6 out of 7 games*

No way can the Wild match up with Blackhawks! The Blackhawks are on a whole different level! Wild 3-1-1 against Chicago during the regular season, but nope. They won’t even win 2 games.

Not saying the Wild WILL win this because Chicago still has home advantage in a 3 game series where both teams are 5-0 at home in the playoffs, but I just wanted to say we told you so….again. Keep picking against us if we do advance, please.

13. jpat2424 - May 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Hawks fan here. Hawks have been outplayed all 4 games. Luckily for us we didn’t get swept. Wtf Hawks get it together. Still Hawks in 6

• dlhouse18 - May 10, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Game 1 (Wild shots 32-22 or something like that), Game 3, and Game 4 the Wild outplayed you. Game 2 I will say the Blackhawks outplayed the Wild. We just need to take Game 5 and then we have a significant upper hand.

• getadealdonealready - May 10, 2014 at 12:44 AM

I respect your honesty, the only thing I’d say is the Wild hasn’t lost at home and has outscored opponents 16-5 at the X, I don’t see them losing at home, they are playing with too much confidence there. Hawks may end up winning, but it’s going to have to be in 7. They have cup creed, but what started as going through the motions against what they most likely felt was an inferior team, has turned into frustration on their part, you can see it in there play right now.

• dlhouse18 - May 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Hawks also haven’t lost at home getadealdonealready

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 1:55 AM

getadeal said “but it’s going to have to be in 7.” That would imply that the Hawks win at home.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Only 1 of 2, mp… 2 of the next 3, if necessary, will be in Chitown…

14. mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Bryz is back.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM

♫ the bryz is back in town, the bryz is back in town ♫

15. dlhouse18 - May 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM

So far the Wild have only been outplayed in 2/11 games this postseason. Both Game 2s

16. bighossa - May 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Crow gave up some soft goals but the fact that anyone thinks the wild will take the series is ridiculous. Bryz can’t play with a flip at the UC and Chicago will take it in Minnesota in 6.

• Jackson Scofield - May 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Hawks fan here who has no idea how you are that confident right now… If we lose next game, we’ll all be shaving a couple days later.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Refreshing honesty/objectivity. Tha same thing can probably be said of the Wild. This next game is obviously HUGE.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 1:13 AM

There again–very valid dream. Dreams are healthy.

• bobanddy - May 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

I love it when fans use thier nicknames. Crow, Kaner, Sharpy, and Big Hoss were all out played.

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM

one reason to do so is typically the nickname is shorter, except Kaner, Saader, and Sharpie that is. Wouldn’t you rather type Hammer than Hjalmarsson, Rosy instead of Roszival, Seabs instead of Seabrook? I could go on and on. Anyway, you forgot to include that Tazer and Bicks were also outplayed.

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

to make it simple ……..the HAWKS were outplayed .every stinking one of them !

17. credible316 - May 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Mike Milbury after the game: “Well it looks like Cinderella has arrived at the ball and she looks good, she looks hot!”

Let’s steal one in the windy city and close it out at the Fuse Box!

GO WILD!!!

18. windycity99 - May 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Hawks looked like a joke tonight. Seems like there is no effort. Just horrible

19. c9castine - May 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

wild fans have the right attitude right now.

dont think players dont notice. its 2014.

20. sviginak - May 10, 2014 at 3:52 AM

I feel a lot better about the way Wild played in Chicago than Hawks fans ought to feel about how they played in Minny!

I think the Wild can get one in Chi-town, either game five or seven.

21. chunkala - May 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM

More of this superfluous NHL postseason.
    Just make each series Best of 3 to expedite the playoffs.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM

No $$$ in that. The typical NHL team makes no profit–$0…a break-even proposition throughout the reg season. It’s generally only that playoff teams that generate an operating profit–as a result of those extra premium games. 3 game playoff series would be very bad for the NHL and very good for the KHL.

22. tripps3 - May 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Hats off to the Wild, clearly they wanted the win more. Hawks better find some energy to match. Go Hawks!

23. penvik - May 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Missed the game last night,
    But assuming the refs won one for Minnesota last night? Got to keep thing even right. They won it for the Rangers so chances are the league wanted Minny to have a chance too. If the final isn’t Pitt vs Chicago/LA then the NHL has major issues. These teams are far and away above the rest. Boston is close but just not in their talent level. Now if Boston had Seguin they’d be closer but after that trade they’re going the wrong direction. Cups should be based on who’s the BEST, not just hard work and help from the refs to even things up. But sadly the NHL wants everyone to have a chance. Awe, how nice, just like the rest of society. Losing a lot of passion for the game I love.

• ignath - May 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

THIS is why the Blackhawks fanbase gets the label “arrogant” by some fans.

“I didn’t watch the game, but there is literally no way the Wild could beat the Blackhawks if the refs didn’t interfere.”

Perhaps the Wild played a much better game last night? Perhaps they dominated TOP, shots on goal, hits, faceoffs. Perhaps they were just the better team last night (which they were, from someone who watched from beginning to end).

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Exactly. Doesn’t bother to even watch the game yet has concluded what produced the outcome. Wasted 15 seconds of my day reading his/her drivel…

• r8rbhawk - May 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Penvik is a Penguins fan just trolling the website

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

used to be an old saying..don’t let your mouth outweigh your a$$ . watch a replay of the game , if as an assumed HAWKS fan, you can stomach it ! WILD won the game …period ! the HAWKS really didn’t show up …at least not to play hockey. a comment like the one you made just makes you sound……………. well you know !

24. McFaddensPulledHammy - May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Refs didn’t have anything to do with it. Hawks defense was awful. Wild skated fast and put pressure on them. They are finally figuring out that our d-men will dig out the puck from the corners and try to pass it up through the middle of the defensive zone. Crawford let in a soft goal (as did Bryz) and his bad glove hand showed up again. Wild played the Hawks game and were better last night.

As I said from the beginning, Hawks in 7. I didn’t, and still don’t, see a road win from either team.

25. slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

REGULAR PLAYERS ..4 ……………..SUPERSTARS ..2 …………….. you know how bad your team played when MATT COOKE’S name is mentioned so much about his offensive skills, rather than questionable hits ! lay it on us WILD fans ….we deserve it ! the WILD were like a swarm of buzzing bees and the HAWKS were like a team of senior volunteers from the retirement home ! zone time was probably like 90 % to 10 % in the WILDS favor ! ….. question to HAWK players…..how do you keep a puck in the off.zone…ANS. i dunno ! question to HAWK player…. how do you clear your own zone ..ANS… i dunno ! we’ve been hearing about BLACKHAWKS depth all season………. where did it go ? GAME 3 was pathetic…………. how do you desribe this one GAME 4 which was worse ??

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

oh yeah, all you guys who ridiculled me for my KANE comments………….. where was he last night ? i thought he could singlehandedly lift the team to the CUP ?

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Umm–it says right here in the *Chicago Blackhawk Fan Guide for DUMMIES* that we should just blame it on the “Hawks taking the night off.” That seems like a really really good explanation to meeEEeeEEEEeee… LOL

• McFaddensPulledHammy - May 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Again, I said they took the night off in game 3, which they did. See comments above about last nights game. It’s not *Chicago Blackhawk Fan Guide for DUMMIES*. It’s watching the core of this team for just about every game for the last six or seven years and knowing when they just don’t feel like playing.

You can’t honestly tell me that if both teams played up to their potential each and every shift that the Wild would win a 7 game series against the Blackhawks? The talent levels are not equal and if you disagree, who’s the homer? But that is why you play because what I said above just doesn’t happen. In a 7 game series, the winner is usually the team that establishes it’s game for longer periods of time.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Yes–on paper, the Hawks are a more talented team…no question about it… However, if you’ve ever played the game you know that talent only takes you so far–especially when a lesser-talented team is outworking and out-hustling you and your coaching staff is getting out-adjusted by the lesser-talented team’s coach…

When sets hockey apart is that it’s 90% emotion. Mo is HUGE in hockey and there’s no better way to create Mo than when 4 lines of players and a goaltender are all feeding off the drive, sacrifice and unrelenting desire of one another… Your team plays like it is satisfied… Your team plays like they read their press clippings and believe they just need to show up to beat this ridiculously inferior-talented team. Many of your fans are the same way.

Your team plays like a team that’s gonna get it’s ass BEAT…then stand around pointing fingers at one another for why it could happen. Seen it many times, my friend… ;)

• slysipops - May 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM

okay CLARK…did MOMMIE name you after SUPERMAN ! LOL!

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

No, slitpops–but that’s what your mommy calls me… ;)

• tved12 - May 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

McFadden,

I can absolutely tell you that if both teams played up to their potential the Wild can win a series against the Hawks. After watching the last two games the fact that you still question that shows your arrogance. Again you’re showing that you can’t just give the Wild credit for being a great team and shutting your team down, in your mind they didn’t play up to their “potential.”

Yes, the Hawks are extremely talented offensively and I’d say they have the edge in goal (on most nights, not last night). But the Wild are better in the neutral zone, defensive zone, speed and work ethic. Say what you want about the Hawks and their “potential,” but they’ve run into a team that is playing better as a team right now.

Also, I would hope that we are all “homers” to some degree.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches