Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Kane says he expects to be back in the lineup tonight versus Minnesota, but Saturday’s scratching will only add to the speculation he could be dealt this summer.
And that speculation has been going on for some time now.
Kane is only 22 years old, and there’s no doubting his talent. He already has 97 career goals, including the 30 he scored in 2011-12.
If you’d like another reason he’d garner significant interest on the trade market, his contract runs through 2017-18 for an affordable cap hit of $5.25 million.
All that said, if he is made available by the Jets, there will be questions about his character.
Does this look like a happy hockey player?
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54