Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Kane says he expects to be back in the lineup tonight versus Minnesota, but Saturday’s scratching will only add to the speculation he could be dealt this summer.
And that speculation has been going on for some time now.
Kane is only 22 years old, and there’s no doubting his talent. He already has 97 career goals, including the 30 he scored in 2011-12.
If you’d like another reason he’d garner significant interest on the trade market, his contract runs through 2017-18 for an affordable cap hit of $5.25 million.
All that said, if he is made available by the Jets, there will be questions about his character.
Does this look like a happy hockey player?
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35