Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Even after Evander Kane said he wasn’t trying to offend anyone by posing on a Las Vegas balcony with four bricks of cash and tweeting a picture of it, the Winnipeg Free Press ran a column by Gary Lawless that suggested the 21-year-old’s days are numbered with the Jets.
To be clear, it’s not just because of the Vegas tweet, argues Lawless. It’s about the reputation Kane’s built in the city.
There’s also this:
Kane isn’t very coachable. On or off the ice. He’s a talent. But he’s also a problem — there’s no disputing that.
Teammates have tried to reach him on certain subjects. He doesn’t listen. If he wants to bring his girlfriend along on the road, he does so. Veterans have tried to hammer home that road games are business trips. Focus should be on the work. Kane does what he wants when he wants. He’s a teammate but not yet a good one.
We’re not sure we’ve ever heard of a player bringing his girlfriend on the road. Is that approved by the team? It can’t be, right? He must hide her with the luggage or something.
At any rate, Kane supporters can argue all they want that a mountain is being made out of a molehill, but nobody can deny teams hate having to answer questions about this sort of stuff over and over.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)