Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Even after Evander Kane said he wasn’t trying to offend anyone by posing on a Las Vegas balcony with four bricks of cash and tweeting a picture of it, the Winnipeg Free Press ran a column by Gary Lawless that suggested the 21-year-old’s days are numbered with the Jets.
To be clear, it’s not just because of the Vegas tweet, argues Lawless. It’s about the reputation Kane’s built in the city.
There’s also this:
Kane isn’t very coachable. On or off the ice. He’s a talent. But he’s also a problem — there’s no disputing that.
Teammates have tried to reach him on certain subjects. He doesn’t listen. If he wants to bring his girlfriend along on the road, he does so. Veterans have tried to hammer home that road games are business trips. Focus should be on the work. Kane does what he wants when he wants. He’s a teammate but not yet a good one.
We’re not sure we’ve ever heard of a player bringing his girlfriend on the road. Is that approved by the team? It can’t be, right? He must hide her with the luggage or something.
At any rate, Kane supporters can argue all they want that a mountain is being made out of a molehill, but nobody can deny teams hate having to answer questions about this sort of stuff over and over.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 26
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 27
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 46
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 28
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 90
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1