Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Even after Evander Kane said he wasn’t trying to offend anyone by posing on a Las Vegas balcony with four bricks of cash and tweeting a picture of it, the Winnipeg Free Press ran a column by Gary Lawless that suggested the 21-year-old’s days are numbered with the Jets.
To be clear, it’s not just because of the Vegas tweet, argues Lawless. It’s about the reputation Kane’s built in the city.
There’s also this:
Kane isn’t very coachable. On or off the ice. He’s a talent. But he’s also a problem — there’s no disputing that.
Teammates have tried to reach him on certain subjects. He doesn’t listen. If he wants to bring his girlfriend along on the road, he does so. Veterans have tried to hammer home that road games are business trips. Focus should be on the work. Kane does what he wants when he wants. He’s a teammate but not yet a good one.
We’re not sure we’ve ever heard of a player bringing his girlfriend on the road. Is that approved by the team? It can’t be, right? He must hide her with the luggage or something.
At any rate, Kane supporters can argue all they want that a mountain is being made out of a molehill, but nobody can deny teams hate having to answer questions about this sort of stuff over and over.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)