Jun 16, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
Evander Kane is coming off an entry-level contract and under normal circumstances it would be safe to assume that the Winnipeg Jets would like to tie down the restricted free agent to a long-term contract. After all, Kane was their goal scoring leader in 2011-12 and one of the faces of the young franchise.
Unfortunately, all does not appear to be well in Winnipeg. A Jets player reportedly told Renaud Lavoie that Kane doesn’t want to negotiate for a new contract.
Back in April, the Winnipeg Free Press reported that Kane enjoyed playing in a Canadian market and in front of the Jets fans.
That being said, when it came to his upcoming contract talks, Kane was somewhat vague at the time.
“We’re going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent,” Kane said. “That’s why I pay them the big money. There’s a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff.”
Now, assuming it’s true that Kane no longer wants to negotiate, there could be a number of different reasons for that. For all we know, it’s just a tactic and part of the process.
However, it is worth noting that Jets coach Claude Noel had some harsh words for Kane back in January. He later tried to blame the media for provoking him, but it wasn’t an isolated incident for Noel.
The Jets coach repeatedly criticized his team and even early in the season there were questions being raised about his relationship with the players.
Of course this should all be taken with a grain of salt and even if there are issues, it’s entirely possible that they will be quietly resolved before the 2012-13 season begins.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)