Jun 16, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
Evander Kane is coming off an entry-level contract and under normal circumstances it would be safe to assume that the Winnipeg Jets would like to tie down the restricted free agent to a long-term contract. After all, Kane was their goal scoring leader in 2011-12 and one of the faces of the young franchise.
Unfortunately, all does not appear to be well in Winnipeg. A Jets player reportedly told Renaud Lavoie that Kane doesn’t want to negotiate for a new contract.
Back in April, the Winnipeg Free Press reported that Kane enjoyed playing in a Canadian market and in front of the Jets fans.
That being said, when it came to his upcoming contract talks, Kane was somewhat vague at the time.
“We’re going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent,” Kane said. “That’s why I pay them the big money. There’s a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff.”
Now, assuming it’s true that Kane no longer wants to negotiate, there could be a number of different reasons for that. For all we know, it’s just a tactic and part of the process.
However, it is worth noting that Jets coach Claude Noel had some harsh words for Kane back in January. He later tried to blame the media for provoking him, but it wasn’t an isolated incident for Noel.
The Jets coach repeatedly criticized his team and even early in the season there were questions being raised about his relationship with the players.
Of course this should all be taken with a grain of salt and even if there are issues, it’s entirely possible that they will be quietly resolved before the 2012-13 season begins.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21