Jun 16, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
Evander Kane is coming off an entry-level contract and under normal circumstances it would be safe to assume that the Winnipeg Jets would like to tie down the restricted free agent to a long-term contract. After all, Kane was their goal scoring leader in 2011-12 and one of the faces of the young franchise.
Unfortunately, all does not appear to be well in Winnipeg. A Jets player reportedly told Renaud Lavoie that Kane doesn’t want to negotiate for a new contract.
Back in April, the Winnipeg Free Press reported that Kane enjoyed playing in a Canadian market and in front of the Jets fans.
That being said, when it came to his upcoming contract talks, Kane was somewhat vague at the time.
“We’re going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent,” Kane said. “That’s why I pay them the big money. There’s a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff.”
Now, assuming it’s true that Kane no longer wants to negotiate, there could be a number of different reasons for that. For all we know, it’s just a tactic and part of the process.
However, it is worth noting that Jets coach Claude Noel had some harsh words for Kane back in January. He later tried to blame the media for provoking him, but it wasn’t an isolated incident for Noel.
The Jets coach repeatedly criticized his team and even early in the season there were questions being raised about his relationship with the players.
Of course this should all be taken with a grain of salt and even if there are issues, it’s entirely possible that they will be quietly resolved before the 2012-13 season begins.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)