Jun 16, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
Evander Kane is coming off an entry-level contract and under normal circumstances it would be safe to assume that the Winnipeg Jets would like to tie down the restricted free agent to a long-term contract. After all, Kane was their goal scoring leader in 2011-12 and one of the faces of the young franchise.
Unfortunately, all does not appear to be well in Winnipeg. A Jets player reportedly told Renaud Lavoie that Kane doesn’t want to negotiate for a new contract.
Back in April, the Winnipeg Free Press reported that Kane enjoyed playing in a Canadian market and in front of the Jets fans.
That being said, when it came to his upcoming contract talks, Kane was somewhat vague at the time.
“We’re going to have see what happens and sit down and talk with my agent,” Kane said. “That’s why I pay them the big money. There’s a lot going on with the new CBA and all that kind of stuff.”
Now, assuming it’s true that Kane no longer wants to negotiate, there could be a number of different reasons for that. For all we know, it’s just a tactic and part of the process.
However, it is worth noting that Jets coach Claude Noel had some harsh words for Kane back in January. He later tried to blame the media for provoking him, but it wasn’t an isolated incident for Noel.
The Jets coach repeatedly criticized his team and even early in the season there were questions being raised about his relationship with the players.
Of course this should all be taken with a grain of salt and even if there are issues, it’s entirely possible that they will be quietly resolved before the 2012-13 season begins.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)