Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
This hasn’t necessarily been an ideal summer for Tyler Seguin, at least when it comes to the public’s perception of him.
The Boston Bruins, after finishing as the runner-up in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, traded Seguin to the Dallas Stars, and even then the controversy into his wild ways didn’t subside.
A Twitter scandal in which Seguin maintained his account had been hacked, resulting in a tweet with homophobic language hitting the social media site.
So, it’s been a rough go these past few months.
But perhaps things will turn around in Dallas, regardless of whether or not Seguin gives up his ways. And if he hasn’t, he can always look to past members of the Stars who found a way to balance an active social life with their best results in the professional realm.
Below is a snippet of what Dallas Morning News sports reporter Mike Heika wrote about Seguin. (Read the full version here)
Had the Bruins won it all, the parties would have been excused, the Twitter foibles pushed aside, and the tales of playoff distraction buried.
But, the Bruins lost, and now there needs to be a reason why. That’s how this entertainment business works.
But it can also work in your favor if you play well and win. The 1999 Stars had plenty of wildmen. They were seen as charming. Heck, Brett Hull and Ed Belfour became fan favorites because they could party and still show up and play their best. That’s how they did it in the old days.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)