Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
This hasn’t necessarily been an ideal summer for Tyler Seguin, at least when it comes to the public’s perception of him.
The Boston Bruins, after finishing as the runner-up in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, traded Seguin to the Dallas Stars, and even then the controversy into his wild ways didn’t subside.
A Twitter scandal in which Seguin maintained his account had been hacked, resulting in a tweet with homophobic language hitting the social media site.
So, it’s been a rough go these past few months.
But perhaps things will turn around in Dallas, regardless of whether or not Seguin gives up his ways. And if he hasn’t, he can always look to past members of the Stars who found a way to balance an active social life with their best results in the professional realm.
Below is a snippet of what Dallas Morning News sports reporter Mike Heika wrote about Seguin. (Read the full version here)
Had the Bruins won it all, the parties would have been excused, the Twitter foibles pushed aside, and the tales of playoff distraction buried.
But, the Bruins lost, and now there needs to be a reason why. That’s how this entertainment business works.
But it can also work in your favor if you play well and win. The 1999 Stars had plenty of wildmen. They were seen as charming. Heck, Brett Hull and Ed Belfour became fan favorites because they could party and still show up and play their best. That’s how they did it in the old days.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)