Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
This hasn’t necessarily been an ideal summer for Tyler Seguin, at least when it comes to the public’s perception of him.
The Boston Bruins, after finishing as the runner-up in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, traded Seguin to the Dallas Stars, and even then the controversy into his wild ways didn’t subside.
A Twitter scandal in which Seguin maintained his account had been hacked, resulting in a tweet with homophobic language hitting the social media site.
So, it’s been a rough go these past few months.
But perhaps things will turn around in Dallas, regardless of whether or not Seguin gives up his ways. And if he hasn’t, he can always look to past members of the Stars who found a way to balance an active social life with their best results in the professional realm.
Below is a snippet of what Dallas Morning News sports reporter Mike Heika wrote about Seguin. (Read the full version here)
Had the Bruins won it all, the parties would have been excused, the Twitter foibles pushed aside, and the tales of playoff distraction buried.
But, the Bruins lost, and now there needs to be a reason why. That’s how this entertainment business works.
But it can also work in your favor if you play well and win. The 1999 Stars had plenty of wildmen. They were seen as charming. Heck, Brett Hull and Ed Belfour became fan favorites because they could party and still show up and play their best. That’s how they did it in the old days.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)