Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Tyler Seguin needs to grow up.
That was the message from Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, who admitted earlier this weekend that he’s taken calls on the second overall pick from the 2010 draft.
Whether testing the trade waters was mostly just a way to send a message to the young forward, well, we may never know. But one thing’s for sure: if Seguin’s to remain in Boston, the Bruins expect more from the player they gave a six-year, $34.5 million contract.
“He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said, per the Boston Globe. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game.”
It’s no secret that Seguin likes to have a good time off the ice. So do a lot of young professional athletes. But the Bruins clearly feel it’s time for him to buckle down.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)