Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin needs to grow up.
That was the message from Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, who admitted earlier this weekend that he’s taken calls on the second overall pick from the 2010 draft.
Whether testing the trade waters was mostly just a way to send a message to the young forward, well, we may never know. But one thing’s for sure: if Seguin’s to remain in Boston, the Bruins expect more from the player they gave a six-year, $34.5 million contract.
“He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said, per the Boston Globe. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game.”
It’s no secret that Seguin likes to have a good time off the ice. So do a lot of young professional athletes. But the Bruins clearly feel it’s time for him to buckle down.
Chiarelli on trade talk possibly scaring Seguin straight: “I hope it does. If it doesn’t, I’d be more concerned."—
Fluto Shinzawa (@GlobeFluto) July 01, 2013
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)