Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin needs to grow up.
That was the message from Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, who admitted earlier this weekend that he’s taken calls on the second overall pick from the 2010 draft.
Whether testing the trade waters was mostly just a way to send a message to the young forward, well, we may never know. But one thing’s for sure: if Seguin’s to remain in Boston, the Bruins expect more from the player they gave a six-year, $34.5 million contract.
“He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said, per the Boston Globe. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game.”
It’s no secret that Seguin likes to have a good time off the ice. So do a lot of young professional athletes. But the Bruins clearly feel it’s time for him to buckle down.
Chiarelli on trade talk possibly scaring Seguin straight: “I hope it does. If it doesn’t, I’d be more concerned."—
Fluto Shinzawa (@GlobeFluto) July 01, 2013
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)