Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin needs to grow up.
That was the message from Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, who admitted earlier this weekend that he’s taken calls on the second overall pick from the 2010 draft.
Whether testing the trade waters was mostly just a way to send a message to the young forward, well, we may never know. But one thing’s for sure: if Seguin’s to remain in Boston, the Bruins expect more from the player they gave a six-year, $34.5 million contract.
“He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said, per the Boston Globe. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game.”
It’s no secret that Seguin likes to have a good time off the ice. So do a lot of young professional athletes. But the Bruins clearly feel it’s time for him to buckle down.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 20
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 19
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)