Jun 30, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin needs to grow up.
That was the message from Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, who admitted earlier this weekend that he’s taken calls on the second overall pick from the 2010 draft.
Whether testing the trade waters was mostly just a way to send a message to the young forward, well, we may never know. But one thing’s for sure: if Seguin’s to remain in Boston, the Bruins expect more from the player they gave a six-year, $34.5 million contract.
“He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said, per the Boston Globe. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game.”
It’s no secret that Seguin likes to have a good time off the ice. So do a lot of young professional athletes. But the Bruins clearly feel it’s time for him to buckle down.
Chiarelli on trade talk possibly scaring Seguin straight: “I hope it does. If it doesn’t, I’d be more concerned."—
Fluto Shinzawa (@GlobeFluto) July 01, 2013
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)